DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon D610 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/519473-nikon-d610.html)

Jose Dominguez October 14th, 2013 08:50 AM

Nikon D610

Is anyone interested on the nikon d610 for video? Is is going to be the same as D600?

Tom Abray October 20th, 2013 06:08 PM

Re: Nikon D610

I think it's going to be exactly the same as the d600.

Kyle Root October 28th, 2013 11:17 AM

I believe it's the exact same Only main difference between the 2 is the shutter mechanism, do get rid of the oil spot issue on the D600s.

I'm pretty sure it is more "consumer" oriented meaning that it doesn't allow real time exposure control like hte D800. If doing serious video, I think the D800 is the way to go based on all the stuff I've read about it.

I'm still holding off, hoping for a DX D400 style camera with video similar to the D800 in terms of real time control.

Jeff Anselmo October 30th, 2013 02:15 PM

Hi Jose,

I recently ordered the D610 (should arrive next week) and will be using it primarily for photos, and the occasional video. From the reviews and samples I've read and seen the D600/610 is an "okay" video DSLR. Meaning, it still suffers from the usual suspects of aliasing, moire, etc. Also, like Kyle mentioned, exposure control is still non-functional in live view mode (you need to switch to photo mode, then back to video mode to change/set exposure). The argument is that filmmakers don't normally switch to one f-stop to another while shooting. But for doc or reality show producers it certainly would help.

Best,

Sam Renkin February 27th, 2014 10:02 AM

All video cameras suffer from some level of aliasing, moiré and flicker. It's the nature of the beast. We've always used tools like shutter speed and frame rate to overcome these challenges wherever possible.

I've been shooting video for over 20 years, and dollar for dollar the D600 is the best camera I've ever owned for image quality. You get the same pixel density and bitrate as the D800 for $1,000 less. The internal headphone jack, adjustable audio levels and CLEAN audio recording quality are just a few of the great features I use every day. Had I waited 6 months, I would have snatched up the D7100 instead, which also offers the same video quality for $800 less than I paid - but I love the FX sensor.

Sure you have to set your f-stop before switching to live view - it's never been an issue. I make minor adjustments to exposure by changing ISO and shutter speed in live view (easy). For anything else, you stop shooting and make changes. It's really a no brainer.

Tom Abray March 30th, 2014 10:48 AM

I think it will be exactly the same as the D600, which I've been using for a year or so. It has a lot of qualities and I have mostly manual aperture lenses so the lack of electronic aperture control isn't a problem. The video quality in FX mode is pretty good. IMHO, it's weakness in video mode can be skin tones. I wish they were a little better. Also, I find the footage from my FS100 stands up to grading better than the D600's footage. It could be my imagination. Nonetheless, I try to get the right look in camera with the D600, usually using a slightly modified "Standard" picture profile.

Two bonuses:
-I use it a lot as a 2nd camera to do time-lapses. You don't need any extra gadgets to program it and it outputs a Quicktime file.
-I find it a good hand-held camera. I can hold it very steady. It's just the right weight for me.

For photos it's great.

It's the piece of equipment in my kit that probably paid for itself the quickest.

Kyle Root April 16th, 2014 11:00 AM

I borrowed a D610 a few weeks ago from a friend to try out, and I must say, the lack of aperture control during filming wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

This is because you still have control over ISO and shutter while recording.

I think for most situations have live control out of 2 of the 3 methods will work. I hadn't even considered the D610 for video until I tried it out.

Also shot some pix with it, and coming from my almost 5 year old D90 - I was super pleased with the shots, especially at higher ISOs.