Nikon D800 or Canon D5 mark 3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old November 18th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Nikon D800 or Canon D5 mark 3

Read that article when it came out. For me, I want the footage as clean as possible. Often I hand the footage off. So that my client can edit. Sharpening the footage after the shoot seems like an extra step. Also I don't want my clients to think it was me or my equipment.

The second part to choosing the D800 is the ability to adjust audio level input and headphone volume from the screen. With the 5d Mark III you have to go into a menu, adjust and back out. I'm often shooting run and gun documentary style. So quicker I can adjust the better.

Also if you do Timelapse it has a built-in intervolmeter. I prefer this versus a tangled remote hanging off my rig especially for motion Timelapse where things are moving.

This is why I prefer the D800. Thanks for sharing.
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Still on the road but I think I will buy a D800 before the end of the year and start my switch. For me it is not video just stills and from what I have been shown in the field there is a big difference.
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Major Player

I had D800. Replaced it with D800e for more resolution, bought anti aliasing filter by Mosaic, shoot both photo and video, have to remove Mosaic filter for stills, rarely ever had a aliasing problem with stills.

D800, D800e do much better job for stills, no doubt about that.. RAW is somehow better, easier to manipulate in ACR or Lightroom,
as for video, if you do not go above 2500 Nikon is a better camera, latitude is ultimate value in cameras, to me.

If you plan to shoot events, going over 2500 iso, sometimes I shoot 6400 with 5dmk3, it works pretty nice!
Nikon has different color scheme, some people like Canon skin tones, I grade everything and the codec from D800e is better, holds more of a color change, shadows pull better.. The difference is maybe 15 20 percent, from non scientific estimate.. Depends which lenses you have.. ( I have both) happy to be able to afford different systems, have GH3 M4/3 (bunch of glass) If you plan to shoot RAW, get MK3!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #19
Trustee

awesome video Jeff, where can we see the final result?

How did the gopro footage came?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Major Player

my recent opera music video, shot mostly with D800e.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I was all set to consider Nikon last year until I realized all of the lenses focused and zoomed in the opposite direction of "normal" video cameras. Messing with years of muscle memory is just not worth it for me even though I think Nikon bested Canon on this last round.

Magic Lanter RAW does change the landscape although it is still pretty "raw" in its current state. Nikon is making a great product from what I have seen. Both these cameras are pretty capable for $3,000
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #22
Major Player

I've compare 5dmk3 RAW with D800e to Ninja.. still image that Nikon produces is more pleasing to my eye, even after all color correction, dynamic range seems better on Nikon,
but again if someone shoots at iso 3200 and above Canon is the right way to go.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video