DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon D7100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/523571-nikon-d7100.html)

Ian Thomas June 3rd, 2014 01:42 PM

Nikon D7100

Hi could with you help please

Just bought a new unit of ebay already have the D7000 took it out tonight and in live mode (photo+-video) the screen keeps flashing and in video mode this is recorded I have the screen set to 50hrtz, also taking photos in S-A-M modes when you view the photo on the screen its so dark you can't see them I have the camera's S.A and ISO set correct, but when in auto mode the pics look ok in the screen also iam shooting raw

As above I have the D7000 and not had these problems am I missing something or a setting that might be the problem this is a newer camera, Any help would be great before I send it back thankyou

Ian Thomas June 3rd, 2014 04:05 PM

Re: Nikon D7100

pleases could anybody shed any light

David Stoneburner June 4th, 2014 08:22 AM

Have you tried a full reset. I'm not sure, but usually you can do a factory reset of some sort. Since you just bought it and can return it, I wouldn't mess with the firmware. Before returning it check every setting. Maybe they tweaked a picture profile and that is why it's messed up. That's where I would start. I have a 5100 which is basically the same camera but with less manual control.

Ian Thomas June 4th, 2014 12:00 PM

Cheers David

The camera is new so I don't think anybody has tweaked any settings, funny thing tried it today and it never did it !! strange really

David Stoneburner June 5th, 2014 06:51 AM

Well that's good. You might want to look at the Nikon firmware hacks if you are shooting video. They are at Nikonhacker.com. The latest one gave me some manual control in the live view mode that I didn't have before, but again I have the 5100 so I'm not sure of all the control differences. Also I did wait till mine was out of warranty, as messing with the firmware is always risky. Enjoy. I used to live in Luton and Newbury. I hope to take a trip back soon one day.

Ian Thomas June 5th, 2014 03:06 PM

Yeah will look at that thanks yes iam using the 7100 for video with the ninja and the 7000 for stills, and has worked ok today

many thanks

Tiago Cristovao June 27th, 2014 01:03 PM

Hello guys.

I want to buy my first DSLR and i Nikon D7100 seems to be really good, except for one thing. It's not possible to control the exposure in live video mode, is that correct?

Does anyone here have that or other Nikon's with the same problem?

Thanks

Kyle Root June 27th, 2014 01:37 PM

My understanding is you can not change the aperture once you are in live view mode.

You still have control over Shutter and ISO.

At least, that's how it was on the D610 I borrowed and it and the D7100 are pretty much the same camera.

Tiago Cristovao June 27th, 2014 01:50 PM

Thank you for your reply Kyle Root

Do you think it's too annoying for filmmaking? No aperture control in live view is only when it starts recording right? You can control it in the LCD before recording?

Kevin Brennan June 27th, 2014 03:07 PM

Tiago, you have to actually exit live view completely to change the aperture setting on lenses without aperture rings.

All my lenses have aperture rings except the tokina 11-16, so this is not a problem I run into, but even when I have done it, it hasn't been too bad. You push one button, change the aperture, push that button and you're good to go.

To the OP, my d7100 doesn't have any issues you're discussing. Seems very odd.

Tiago Cristovao June 27th, 2014 04:08 PM

Thank you Kevin.

And whats your opinion about using a D7100 for filmmaking?

Lou Bruno July 6th, 2014 06:21 PM

Hint: you can correct exposure via the EV menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1850252)
My understanding is you can not change the aperture once you are in live view mode.

You still have control over Shutter and ISO.

At least, that's how it was on the D610 I borrowed and it and the D7100 are pretty much the same camera.

Sam Renkin July 8th, 2014 07:21 PM

I've been shooting video with the D600 for two years. You won't be disappointed with the D7100. As mentioned by others, there is no real "obstacle" with changing exposure in live view because you can adjust 3 different ways;

1. Set before you switch on live view, or turn off live view and adjust.
2. Adjust EV steps in live view
3. Adjust shutter and/or ISO in live view

In general I don't change exposure in the middle of a shot, so it's never been an issue.

Sam

Kevin Brennan July 9th, 2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiago Cristovao (Post 1850272)
Thank you Kevin.

And whats your opinion about using a D7100 for filmmaking?

I've really really enjoyed it. I've had it around a year now.

I upgraded to the 7100 from a canon t2i and the difference in pretty significant to me.

The 7100 is awesome. Has noticably more DR, no Aliasing/Moire, does better in High ISO's and has a lot of other really nice features like audio meters, a head phone jack (<3), dual SD cards, built in intervalometer, oh and an absolutely amazing (AMAZING) stills camera.

I used magic lantern with the canon and know you can get a lot of those features, but it's not as nice as the 7100

I've had a great time with the d7100

Kyle Root September 20th, 2014 08:23 PM

While I really want a D750, I've just about talked myself into buying a D7100. I've seen them going refurbished for <$900, and I think I'm going to get one very soon.

My intention is to replace my D90 and V1 with a single DSLR camera.

I've gone all around between FX and DX, but for me, I think DX is going to be good enough for my video needs... and good enough for my photo needs, as a hobbyist.

I was kind of hoping we'd see something at Photokina on the DX front , but no luck.