For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old March 8th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
The D810 is the best dslr on the planet for video. Straight up kills the 5d mark 3 in every aspect including true 1080 60p. It has a true cinema flat profile which I measured to be in the 13 stops dyanmic range. I did a review on it below. There is no dslr that will perform for video like this (except the 1DC).
Perhaps, but I like some of the features on my D5300 better and the D750 is cheaper.
Since getting my GH4 (only need the 12-35 lens), Nikon has not come up with anything that compels me to get another body. Everything since the D5300 including the D5500 and D7200 seem to be just a refresh with off the shelf parts. I am still waiting for a new Nikon DX or FX DSLR or MirrorLess camera actually "optimized" for Video.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #17
Trustee

Roger i agree with you! Do you think the d7100 kit price will decrease with the d7200 out in the stores?
Thanks
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Major Player

I just got my D750 yesterday. Awesome so far!

The D7100 is $699 refurb. I'd go that route if going for the D7100.
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Kyle,
How are you liking the 750 for video?
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Greetings.

I bought a Nikon D5500 yesterday instead of the 750. Same processor, works with my DX lenses, dedicate HDMI out that is CLEAN. And it looks like this 799 camera with the Atomos Ninja 2 is putting out the best 1080p 10 bit 422 color footage I have seen.

I am able to monitor audio using the Atomos and can technically take both the mic input from the camera to it through the HDMI and plug another 2 channels of mics into it directly from the Atoms. Total cost for the Atomos when I got it was 699 delivered.

This combined with the 799 and the ability to use all my DX lenses AND have it be light weight with fantastic Nikon quality (and this new flat image is incredible) and I think I have one hell of a freaking camera for 1500.

Just something to think about. It appears that Nikon has brought their game with this. And I have a gorgeous articulated screen.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Okawa View Post
Hi Kyle,
How are you liking the 750 for video?
I'm liking it pretty good. I've not been a DSLR video shooter, so there are some quirks for me... but I'm glad I got the D750 and plan to use it a lot this year for bridal prep and reception coverage.

You can read my thoughts on it here:

Kyle Root Imaging
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #22
Trustee

OMG, do you really take all that gear with you on a wedding?

Where to you keep the Mule whilst you are filming?

Joking apart, a very informative Blog

Kyle Root Imaging
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Yes, except for the memory cards. I only take the ones I need (about 6, plus a couple spares). All those batteries are required to run everything and they all go, and there are of course extras. But they all go.

It looks like a lot, but I fit everything (cameras/audio/lights) into 2 pelican hard cases, and 2 smallish camera bags. And that's just MY gear.

My main second shooter also has 3 heavy duty bogen triopods just like my 1 big one, 2 XF300s, 1 5DMII, 1 Sony a7s, and assorted lenses and brings all that in a Thinktank Logistics Manager.

My third shooter is the one with the Sony FS100, Steadicam (vest style), and 15' jib.

I'd rather bring it all, than show up and be missing something or need something. lol
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #24
Major Player

Wow Kyle!

You did a great job with that blog post. I've told people who've asked what determines prices, but never got around to writing it up that well. It's kind of explained on my pricing page, but they still ask the question. So, I just give them the general reply, the more gear the job requires, and the more work (not just time, but difficulty), the more it costs. If something really is quick and easy, I do it pretty cheap. But it's seldom really simple and easy. Prices are appropriate for the type of project. Not just weddings, but also for my corporate clients.

You really did a great job explaining the pricing concept.

Sorry for drifting a little off topic. But I really am starting to use a Nikon a little for video.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks.

I'm shooting a promo starting next week and I'll be exclusively using the D750 with the 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8, and 70-200 VR2. So, I hope it does well for that. LOL

I'll bring the Nikon 1V1 and FT1 as backup (love that they both use EN EL15 batteries).

Nikon just offered an additional $300 rebate of the D750. I wish I had waited a month! It's even sweeter at $1,996 now. Only $700 over the D7200.
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
Nikon just offered an additional $300 rebate of the D750. I wish I had waited a month! It's even sweeter at $1,996 now. Only $700 over the D7200.
Then again, if you had waited another 6 months or a year you could have got it cheaper still, but think how much you can earn with it right now, the $300 saving will seem like peanuts.
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Major Player

Just made the jump from a 5d3 to the D750. I'm still trying to learn where everything is in the menu and get used to Nikon's ergonomics, but so far I'm impressed. Stills-wise there's no comparison, the Sony sensor is way ahead of Canon's. The AF is faster and better in low light, but the coverage is less than the 5d3. You will not be able to move your focus point as close to the edge of the frame with the D750.

Video-wise, the D750 is definitely a notch above the 5d3, though it should be since its newer by a couple years. DR is better, the flat profile makes my meager grading skills look good and the smaller file sizes are nice. All cameras should have a tilt LCD, makes life so much easier. And you don't need two kinds of cards for one camera, another feature that makes life easier.

Moire and aliasing are well controlled and the image is sharper out of the camera than 5d3 footage sharpened in post. Nikon worked some magic with the new Expeed processor D750/810 as video IQ has significantly improved. 60p looks good and it has a built in timelapse function - so no external intervalometers or Magic Lantern needed.

The only drawback - everything goes in the wrong direction now, after a decade with Canon this is going to take some getting used to.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 01:00 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Joy View Post

The only drawback - everything goes in the wrong direction now, after a decade with Canon this is going to take some getting used to.
That should read "everything goes in a different direction now".

I have been a Nikon user since the Nikon F (which I still have) and always found them to be very reliable. I also bought the Nikon D1 and D90 which was my main stills camera up until this year, although I did buy this for the video function, I never actually used it for that. The D750 is awesome for stills and so far for video it is looking very good, I still have to get used to it as I also have a comprehensive collection of camcorders and accessories etc. Now with DSLR's I can travel about with less bulky equipment and hopefully still produce excellent video quality.

The one thing not pointed out, is that almost all older style Nikon lenses will work with the D750, these give you full manual focusing and aperture control. In my tests the older lenses perform brilliantly with video (and stills). Look on eBay and you will find many lens bargains.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:07 AM   #29
Major Player

Yesterday was day 1 of a 4 day high school senior shoot for a photographer friend of mine. She has asked me to make a highlight reel of the 4 days.

This was the first time I had a chance to use the D750 for video in good light..... completely blown away by the video quality of it and the kit 24-120 F4. I used the standard picture profile and auto WB2 setting (the one that keeps tones warm) and it did a fantastic job.

There is something to be said for the look that the FF sensor gives. To me, it is a beautiful look, almost 3D-ish in a sense, that smaller sensor sizes don't seem to give.

This is an iPhone picture of my monitor from last night when I was reviewing clips. Really great camera for video for sure!

I could not be more pleased and now that the price has dropped, I think I may pick up another one!
Attached Thumbnails
For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii-img_5699.jpg  
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
That should read "everything goes in a different direction now".

I have been a Nikon user since the Nikon F (which I still have) and always found them to be very reliable. I also bought the Nikon D1 and D90 which was my main stills camera up until this year, although I did buy this for the video function, I never actually used it for that. The D750 is awesome for stills and so far for video it is looking very good, I still have to get used to it as I also have a comprehensive collection of camcorders and accessories etc. Now with DSLR's I can travel about with less bulky equipment and hopefully still produce excellent video quality.

The one thing not pointed out, is that almost all older style Nikon lenses will work with the D750, these give you full manual focusing and aperture control. In my tests the older lenses perform brilliantly with video (and stills). Look on eBay and you will find many lens bargains.
That's a little tongue in cheek, which gets lost in translation on the interweb. I've used older AiS lenses before and I'm planning on getting a few for video - they are great video/budget cine lenses.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video