DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/524077-video-nikon-beats-canon-5d-mark-iii.html)

Michael Rangel July 13th, 2014 09:19 PM

For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii

Which Nikon(lowest price) beats the Canon 5D iii for making video, Nikon 800E?

Chris Harding July 13th, 2014 11:55 PM

Re: For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii

Hi Michael

I don't think any Nikon at this stage will perform as well as the 5DIII when it comes to video. Nikon have never designed a still camera optimised for video. What will work as well or even better is the new Sony A7S ... with standard ISO up to 200, 000 it's a killer camera BUT I'm assuming you, like me, are already using Nikon so have Nikon mount lenses? The A7S means all new lenses and for me I don't want to have to do that as my Nikon mount lenses suit me.

I don't like the tiny form factor of DSLR's for video (I use my Nikons for stills only!) BUT I use my Nikon lenses via a dumb adapter on my Sony EA-50 cameras so I have a "proper" video camera that uses my Nikon lenses.

Seriously, if you want to shoot video on a DSLR for a small amount of money (under $1K) look at the Panasonic FZ1000 ... It even shoots in 4K which the Canon cannot do ...an awful amount of camera for the money (and no lenses needed either!) and it has an autofocus in video mode that really works too!!!

Chris

Michael Rangel July 14th, 2014 12:55 AM

I was told that Canon didn't even make its own lenses anymore people hunted on Ebay for the old lenses, and that the Nikon lenses were better for video. So I was thinking Nikon. I was considering ENG camera now forget it.

I'll consider that sony.

Robert Benda July 14th, 2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rangel (Post 1855078)
I was told that Canon didn't even make its own lenses anymore people hunted on Ebay for the old lenses, and that the Nikon lenses were better for video. So I was thinking Nikon. I was considering ENG camera now forget it.

I'll consider that sony.

What?! Of course Canon still makes its own lenses. Of course, now there are 3rd party makers who have created some pretty good lenses that fit Canon (and other) brands, like Sigma.

Perhaps, Michael, you'd like to share what you want the camera for? I saw in another post you mentioned documentary and film making. Do you have a budget? Do you plan on mixing and matching cameras? Or two of the same (which gives you additional coverage options AND a backup)?

If you like the DSLR systems, and have a budget that allow for GH4 or Sony A7S for their 4k (nevermind the cameras/lenses themselves, the media will be additional hurdles) they have an advantage of high res, so you could shoot a little wide then crop, or the huge low light advantage of the A7S.

If you had a low budget, then a pair of gently used 5d Mark iis would cost $2000 or so, has Magic Lantern to fix some quibbles, and a ton of modestly priced lenses, both Canon brand and others. The 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 are $300 or so each, and go nicely with the old nifty fifty for $110.

Or, I'm curious to know if there is a DSLR with as good an autofocus as the Canon 70D, but you have to be careful about what lens you want to use with it, because many aren't smooth enough. If low light isn't going to be an issue, but money is, then the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 isn't a great lens, but its smooth, quiet, and super cheap.

Shaun Roemich July 14th, 2014 11:19 AM

I'll dissent from Chris and state categorically that for what I'm looking for, the image coming out of the D800 (non-E) is spectacularly better than what I've seen come out of the 5D mk3.

Canon DOES have the advantage of better 24P motion "artifacting" though in my opinion and also beats any Sony offering outside of the F-series cinema cameras IMHO.

Kyle Root July 14th, 2014 11:49 AM

I'm looking into all this stuff for weddings too, and even though i have a lot invested in Nikon glass, I'm stongly considering that new Panasonic FZ1000 - up to 400mm zoom built in, and on board 4K for $900 is pretty sweet from an event video perspective.

I have considered getting a D800, but the more I think about it, and the more I look at things, I think a D7100 would be sufficient for what I'm doing.

Is there a reason you want FX?

Chris Harding July 15th, 2014 01:29 AM

Hi Shaun

I was looking from a wedding perspective so a decent image with high ISO is critical. As good as the image is, in standard mode the 800 goes up to 6400 ...The Sony A7S in standard mode goes up to 100,000 and against the 800's highest setting of 25,000 the Sony can resolve an image at 400,000 ISO.

Don't take me wrong all my still cameras and lenses are Nikon !! I just wish they would bring out a dedicated DSLR video camera that could match the A7S ..it even blows the 5DIII out the water in really low light. I'm sure that the 800 would do way better than my APSC Sony EA-50's (I'm lucky to get to ISO 3200 for a really good image) but we really need a Nikon Cinema camera!!

Chris

Shaun Roemich July 15th, 2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1855182)
Hi Shaun

I was looking from a wedding perspective so a decent image with high ISO is critical.

Hi Chris.

I thought you might be. I work under lights or available in reasonably lit environments so I NEVER shoot over 800 - 1600 ISO. As well, I'm looking for exceptional sharpness which is not where the 5D shines. A great image - just not what I'm looking for. had the D810 been announced with 4k, I would have jumped on it...

Chris Harding July 16th, 2014 04:55 AM

Hi Shaun I worked with the same photog on my last two June weddings and he showed me some video on the 800 in the Church shot a LOT higher ..probably close to 6400 were his words and it was stunning !

Then again it's still better to shoot your low light stuff with better optics rather than fancy camera processing. My Sony's come with an 18-200 zoom which is F3.5 -F6 so even a mediun zoom leaves you around F5 so I always ended up with using lights on the camera for handheld round-the-tables shots ..a bright LED light isn't the nicest thing to blind people with so it's not a good solution. If I push the Sony to 5000 ISO the image is noisy and rotten.

I bought one of the new Sigma ART lenses 18-35 and a constant F1.8 for my Nikon kit and with an adapter I can hook them into the Sony bodies and WOW! what a difference ..no light needed now as the venue light is more than enough!!

Seriously with a fast zoom on the 800 I cannot imagine that any venue would push the Nikon ISO past about 3200. My Sony's can produce a pretty darn good image with the fast zoom at 3200 and that's only an APS-C sensor ...I would suspect that the 800 would do the same but much better.

If only the camera was not the normally DSLR shape!!! I do a ton of handheld and a shoulder mount camera is essential ...With the EA-50 I have the DSLR format and lens interchangability with the form factor that makes shooting video so easy!

Chris

Chris Harding July 16th, 2014 05:24 AM

For the original post topic. You could do a LOT worse than watch this video which tests the 5DIII, D4 and D800

Chris

Emmanuel Plakiotis September 4th, 2014 01:27 AM

I have both the D800 and the D5300. I think the image from D5300 is exceptional. And has 60p as well. For the money is a steal. I've made a crude test on set with a friends 5DIII and I think is overall better. But bear in mind that D5300 is only APC (1,5X crop)

Kyle Root September 12th, 2014 12:05 PM

The new D750 looks pretty sweet for HD video.

Kevin Brennan September 15th, 2014 12:49 PM

The d810 and d750 for FF

the d7100, 5200/5300 are also very very good video DSLRs

Corey Benoit October 16th, 2014 05:49 PM

The D810 is the best dslr on the planet for video. Straight up kills the 5d mark 3 in every aspect including true 1080 60p. It has a true cinema flat profile which I measured to be in the 13 stops dyanmic range. I did a review on it below. There is no dslr that will perform for video like this (except the 1DC).

Matt Bigwood October 22nd, 2014 05:13 AM

My D800 has a horrible microphone pre-amp which is so bad it renders the use of an external mic impossible as there is so much white noise. There are lots of references to this online, and no real usable solution. There are times when it would be good to use a Rode Videomic to record ambient sound without having to worry about an external recorder.

I hope this has been corrected on the D810.