Testing the Nikon 5200 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old June 29th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Testing the Nikon 5200

Hi Folks,

Just added a Nikon 5200 to my arsenal. Only reason I went with Nikon was because I already had a couple of nice Nikon lenses that I inherited from my father in law when he passed away a few years ago. This is my second experience with a DSLR after over 30 years of ENG/EFP work. I DP'ed a horror short with one back in 2011, I was skeptical at the time about DSLR's for video in general, they're not the run and gun TV cameras I was used to. I've learned that hand holding can be steadied a bit by putting the strap around the neck and holding a little pressure with the arms. It seems to work pretty well following my hyper Jack Russell Terrier-American Bulldog mix, Loki around. He's epileptic and we're working him in as kind of a mascot for the local Epilepsy Foundation here in Windsor.

I've noticed that in movie mode, the shutter speed will not go any lower than a 30th. You can't slow it enough to get a streaky motion blur effect. Is there a way to achieve this? Also the camera has an interval timer that would work for time lapse. Is there a function in iMovie that can animate single frames and also is there a way to do custom still picture moves? The program seems to randomly pick moves on its own.

Here are some of the videos I've test shot so far.

Compare this to the video I shot with a Canon Gl-1 last year.

Marty Hamrick

Raindance Media Centre

Windsor, Ontario
Marty Hamrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video