Audio options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old August 3rd, 2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Audio options

So I've been using my D800 for video for a couple of years. So I bought a Small HD 4 monitor, so I could 'monitor' the audio. Well, I'm trying to reduce the height of the over all monopod/camera/monitor and thought of buying a 750 with a flip out screen.

From what I gather, the Small HD monitor plugged in via HDMI overrides the audio, and there is not an over ride mechanism inside the camera that would split the audio and video, and keep the audio monitoring inside the camera. It may not sound like a huge deal, but plugging my headphones into the top of the Small HD DP4 can be cumbersome after a while.

I also have a buzz that Small HD says they didn't hear. According to Small HD, the only monitors they have that has an audio out is the Dp4.

Does the hdmi still over ride the audio out on the 750?

My ability to upload attachments to this forum has been broken for a year or so, or I would upload an attachment.
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio options

Steven,

I have the D800 too, and have connected a Marshall monitor via HDMI to the camera. If you are just monitoring audio that is being recorded to the camera the 1/8" headphones jack should do what you want. Does the D750 override that function? I'd be surprised if it did.

Maybe I'm not clear on your intention.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Steven,

I have the D800 too, and have connected a Marshall monitor via HDMI to the camera. If you are just monitoring audio that is being recorded to the camera the 1/8" headphones jack should do what you want. Does the D750 override that function? I'd be surprised if it did.

Maybe I'm not clear on your intention.

Jonathan

I wish there was an over ride in the camera to have the audio out of the camera even though the HDMI is plugged in. I have a larger SMall HD monitor with no audio out, so when I plug it in, I have no audio monitoring at all.
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

So are you saying that you can't just plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the camera and hear sound? And if not it's because the SmallHD video monitor is overriding the audio, yet there is no audio plug on the SmallHD?

That seems odd.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I can monitor through my Dp4 monitor because it has an audio out, but my 7 inch from Small HD doesn't. And the Dp4 has a buzz in the audio that Small HD says isn't there. So I just wish the HDMI didn't over ride the audio, and I could still monitor through the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video