DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   d750 (+atomos) or fs100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/530800-d750-atomos-fs100.html)

Christophe Gryspeert January 5th, 2016 08:06 AM

d750 (+atomos) or fs100

Ok,
finally got around selling my sony A77 for a good price.
I want to step up now.

2k will do for me. Don't want to make pp to complicated.
So I am attracted by the video's i see by the D750. & maybe add an atomos later on, or a sony fs100 2ndhand also seems like a good upgrade. I've always liked this camera.

advantage to me of the D750:
it can take photos as well..
Atomos recorder seems to do it good
no xlr, although i have na Azden xlr recording device that links up to dslr
disadvantage:
no lenses for it yet, (but nikon is a good investment)

fs100:
+
real videocam
i have a lot of manual pentax lenses for it
xlr, although i have an Azden xlr recording device that links up to dslr (d750..)
-
avchd(?), atomos does not seem to enhance it (just read that on the web..)
maybe a bit heavy for my current slider, not sure
older technology, may be more difficult to sell than a d750 if i'd want to.

others:
the original BMC (2k) or a bmpcc. I like the output very much but i am a bit concerned about the fact that it is always superflat & i will always have to go through a lot of coloring. Fun doing, but not always..

Sony A series, maybe
But i would like your opinion on the D750 vs fs100 dilemma.
btw, this is pure hobby.

thanks upfront for any opinion/thought !

Noa Put January 5th, 2016 08:24 AM

Re: d750 (+atomos) or fs100

You can't go wrong with both of these camera and the most obvious difference between the 2 is as you already have pointed out is that the nikon can take photos. Also bear in mind that good nikon lenses cost more then the body but there are plenty of vintage nikons out there for a more reasonable price.

Personally if it was for creative use on personal projects where I have the time to set up I would go for the d750, I wouldn't see the need for a atomos recorder though, rather spend that money on a good lens. Sound you can always record with a separate recorder if necessary.

Kyle Root January 5th, 2016 08:49 AM

As seen on here... I'm a huge fan of the D750.

BUT, last night my refurbished D7200 came in direct from NikonUSA, and I am quite frankly surprised by it's performance for about $1,000 less.

I was shooting at ISO 25,600 in my dim office late last night with a 17-55 F2.8 lens and the photos were very usable straight out of the camera.

The main differentiator of the D750 (and why I bought it first) was the ability to change the aperture while shooting. Only the D8xx series has that ability as well. All other bodies must stop, exit live view, change ap, and then go back to live view and hit record.

To me, I thought that would be a huge problem at weddings... but after having used it for almost a year or so, I have only had to adjust ap on the fly a handful of times.

I got the D7200 to be a "wide cam" at ceremonies and general backup camera. I've looked at the $495 Atmos recorder and that looks interesting.

In the USA, there was a Best Buy printing snafu with their weekly ad over the weekend and the D5500 2 lens kit is like $450 brand new, a savings of like $500 or something. I'm going in an hour to see if I can claim this deal. lol

Christophe Gryspeert January 5th, 2016 03:34 PM

regarding the d7200, i'd rather go FF with initially two nice primes.

I have an apsc pentax and a FF would then also give me a different perspective on my photography.
Pentax will release a FF soon, but when it comes to video, i don't see them catching up with nikon or others very soon.
Look at what was just released :-)

Only shame is that i have a vast range of very nice MF pentax FF lenses. Ideal for video with their nice focus & aperture rings. therefore fs100 is still in scope.

But i just downloaded some more videos of the d750. I like them a lot!

Christophe Gryspeert January 8th, 2016 01:13 AM

Sorry,
additional question here.

Do you think it is possible that using an adapter (thus with an additional glass element..) would make it possible to use my manual pentax lenses on the D750.

I know that for photos this will degrade quality, but for video, i'm not sure... It may well be ok.
thank you.

Kyle Root January 8th, 2016 12:43 PM

I'm not sure, but I saw yesterday that Adorama is selling brand new Sony FS100s for $1,799 which is a crazy good price on that bad boy.

Christophe Gryspeert January 8th, 2016 01:51 PM

yep, i can see that. unfortunately i live in europe & i don't see those deals here.
by consequence 2ndhand fs100 sellers here usually still ask pretty high prices.
Close to the cost of a new d750 and a nice samyang lens e.g.with two years warranty..
And the cheaper models seem to have had a harsh life ;-)

Christophe Gryspeert January 15th, 2016 06:29 AM

Re: d750 lenses

Additional question on lenses here..

I 'm pretty much set on a D750, so i've been checking out what lenses can go with it & how expensive they are.

I'm a 'prime' person (maybe i'll by the kit with the zoom anyhow for the IS..).
I noticed nikon has AF S 24,35, 50 & 85 (all 1.8 lenses)
Pricewise these are not too bad actually (the 24 is a tad expensive) & they are the ones being sold with the filmmaker kit in the US.
they have a nice focus ring (and silent AF..)

On the other hand, for less cash, they have a 24 2.8 and a 50 1.8 AF D with aperture rings...
But they do seem to have smaller focus rings and probably not silent AF.

And there is a lot available on the 2ndhand market.

So:
1) is there serious difference in IQ in these lenses (also for photography)
2) should i consider something else? (samyang, sigma? also keeping in mind resale value..)
3) I was thinking, if i get a 24 1.8, i actually get a wide angle & an almost standard prime in crop mode. Is my thinking valid here & will i still get quality video doing this?...

Thanks for any opinion/experience..!

Ryan Douthit January 16th, 2016 10:57 PM

If you're manually focusing, keep in mind the Nikon rings rotate opposite Canon (and hence, many third party lenses.) It can be a bit of a challenge if you have some of each.

Christophe Gryspeert January 18th, 2016 09:29 AM

thanks Ryan,
Good to be aware of. I'll avoid mixing lens brands :-)

I'm slightly drawn to either 2 nikon primes (24 & 50 1.8) or 2 sigma art primes (same at 1.4 instead..)