D810 Manual Iris at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old July 15th, 2018, 05:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

D810 Manual Iris

Hi,

Just wondering with a D810, can you manually adjust the iris with the secondary wheel WHILE RECORDING?

Or is it like the D7100 and you need to stop recording, adjust and restart?

Thanks in advance

Ian.
Ian Withnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: D810 Manual Iris

I don't have a D810, but there are a number of sources on the internet that say you can adjust the aperture while recording video. It seems to be dependent on having the correct firmware, certain lenses and setting up the feature called Power Aperture, which allows aperture changes in 1/8 EV steps while recording.
Hope this is helpful!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks but it seems that even in Power aperture once recording starts there is no way to change the Aperture?

Cheers

Ian
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Trustee

How did you map the Power Aperture function to the available buttons on the camera? I'm sure you also tried the control wheel? What lens are you using?

As I mentioned before, in the articles I read, it doesn't work for some people but other respondents say it works for them as expected while recording.

It could be a combination of firmware version, function and button mapping, the lens model, etc.

It must be a tricky combination to hit upon since enough people say they can't get it to work despite Nikon saying it works in the support documentation, and in online examples from users doing it in recordings.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Ian,

Are you using Live View when recording? On my d850 if I go into Live view and try to adjust the aperature, the camera oddly seemed to auto adjust the image on the monitor even though the actual recorded image would be over/under exposed. It wasn’t until I opened the manual and found that you have to press the OK button on the camera to get a real time exposure in Lve View.

Not sure this makes sense or is an option on the 810, but I think that Live View is something you should explore. Hope this helps.

JL
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi,

I don't own one yet. I'm thinking about buying one.

I use Nikon lenses on Sony's and Canons for Video - A7SII, 7DII, FS7 using metabones, 16:9 and MTF Adaptors.

The great thing about Nikon lenses for video is that the adaptors supply the aperture ring so you can easily adjust the exposure while recording on a clickless aperture ring on the lens mount.

If I shoot with a D810, there will be no mount so I need to be sure that I can change exposure while recording without some hokey ISO or shutter speed change and it can be done from the secondary wheel usually used for aperture control.

Simple plan, I'm reasonably sure you can, but I don't know anyone who shoots video on Nikon a D810 and have had trouble finding any reference to it on the web.

Power aperture sounds Suss to me too. Really need someone with a D810 to start recording, turn the secondary dial and say... YEP, she changes f-stop!

Cheers.

I.
Old July 17th, 2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Ian,

Not sure what "power aperture" you are referring to.

I can tell you this: If the d810 is like my old d800 and new d850 I am sure you can change aperture during recording. I can also tell you that it won't be a smooth "ramp" like a regular video camera because the d800 and d850 stop down in 3rds of a stop using the secondary (front) adjust wheel.

If you are looking for a smooth auto type aperture control, consider an actual dedicated video device.

As I mentioned before, Live View will be your friend if you go the D8xx route.

I would also recommend trying before buying. Go to a rental place or if you know anyone with the unit to test out before you commit the $$$$.

JL
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 02:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Ian,

Not sure what "power aperture" you are referring to.

I can tell you this: If the d810 is like my old d800 and new d850 I am sure you can change aperture during recording. I can also tell you that it won't be a smooth "ramp" like a regular video camera because the d800 and d850 stop down in 3rds of a stop using the secondary (front) adjust wheel.

If you are looking for a smooth auto type aperture control, consider an actual dedicated video device.

As I mentioned before, Live View will be your friend if you go the D8xx route.

I would also recommend trying before buying. Go to a rental place or if you know anyone with the unit to test out before you commit the $$$$.

JL
Thanks.

A good start.

I
Ian Withnall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video