ProRes question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Major Player

As I understand it capturing as Pro Res has the same results as exporting pro res from captured HDV. Do you get time code logged when you capture pro res? If not, considering the drive space it takes up, capturing HDV ain't a bad choice.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Trustee

I’m always interested in other peoples work flow and David why do you take the edit to a ProRes QuickTime? What edge does this have over going straight to compressor from the edit? I have tried this and many other routes and cant see the difference.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #18
Major Player

I don't know about David, but I like to have a ProRes HQ master of my final piece on hand for archival purposes.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #19
Regular Crew

ProRes footage accept color correction much better than HDV.

ProRes needs more space and less CPU to edit. HDV needs less space but more CPU power to edit.

If you have space, capturing HDV directly to ProRes may be the best solution.
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Major Player

That's what I figured, Xavier. Since hard drive space is not a luxury for me, I am capturing HDV as HDV, locking the visual edit down (minus any color correction/etc), then transcoding the clips I need to ProRes HQ. It seems that this is the same as capturing all clips directly to ProRes, because FCP is just transcoding live when capturing.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Hello.

I've been curious. When editors say FC ProRes requires much more disk space, just how much more?

Using this as an example, could you give us some idea. The 48 minute FC HDV project (easy set-up AIC 1080/60) with captured files takes up 44GB.

So how large approximately if captured firewire to ProRes in FC?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
When editors say FC ProRes requires much more disk space, just how much more?
See: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1022167-post5.html
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks for that Mike.

Downloaded the WP and will read that. I think that just looking at the graph, and I do need to read this, that 1920x1080 29.97 needs either 1.65 or 1.10 GB storage depending on the data rate which I hope the PR-white paper will explain.

So my 48 minute project would go from being 43gb to around 65GB. Sound right?

Jonathan
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
So my 48 minute project would go from being 43gb to around 65GB. Sound right?
That doesn't sound right to me at all. To start, 48 minutes of HDV should be closer to 13 GB, not 43 GB! 48 minutes of Pro Res 422 (HQ) footage that is 1920x1080 @ 29.97 fps should be in the neighbourhood of 75-80 GB (Pro Res has a variable bitrate so YMMV).
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Mike, I think he may be adding up ALL media including render files and media unused in the timeline, which of course means even your estimate is low...
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Major Player

Hey Mike and Shaun,

Actually, I made a slight error.

The 43GB was the size of the Capture scratch folder that had all my clips from this project that were imported from camera using AIC 1080/60.

My project (final timeline in FC) is 48 minutes, BUT the 43GB of Capture scratch contains an hour and five minutes, the total amount of tape that I shot. This does not include render, AS or any other media. Just the Capture folder of this project.

I hope that clears that up a little.

Jonathan
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #27
Major Player

Ok. One other question about Pro Res:

If you import HDV using Pro Res, do you also out put using Pro Res? Or after editing a project in Pro Res, do you go through the usual steps of File>Export Quicktime from FC. (I call this the master), and then from that choose H.264 or whatever for a burn to DVD?

I see the advantage (and disadvantage) of converting to PR on import: easier to work with but takes up a gi-normous amount of disk space.

If you only convert just one time to PR, either on import or on export, does one give a better result over the other?

Jonathan
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Ok. One other question about Pro Res:

If you import HDV using Pro Res, do you also out put using Pro Res? Or after editing a project in Pro Res, do you go through the usual steps of File>Export Quicktime from FC. (I call this the master), and then from that choose H.264 or whatever for a burn to DVD?

I see the advantage (and disadvantage) of converting to PR on import: easier to work with but takes up a gi-normous amount of disk space.

If you only convert just one time to PR, either on import or on export, does one give a better result over the other?

Jonathan
If your sequence setting is already pro res, then you can follow the usual steps ("current settings") to exporting your Quicktime "master".
So you would only convert to Pro Res once either on capture or in your sequence settings. It's the same difference.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #29
Inner Circle

People have different reasons for using ProRes. Mine: I don't have the luxury of working on a state of the art system, my G5 struggles to edit HDV, but has no problems with ProRes. I'm not sure why the extra space it takes would concern you, considering how cheap 1 tera byte drives have gotten, or even 1.5TB.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Major Player

Aric.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think that for me, the main reason I'll start a Pro Rs workflow is getting the maximum quality video out of my little HV30 camcorder. So what ever help that needs....

Pete,

Storage not a problem (yet). I'm wondering. When you say your G5 struggles along with HDV, what exactly is it struggling with? I've been editing HDV (AIC 1080/60) and aside from having to render tiitles, some transitions, I have not really had to much trouble.

The reason I ask is I too am working on a old-ish G5 SP 1.8 set-up.

Aside from the fact that it takes about 20 hours to conform on export.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite