DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Motherboard for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600? (for Sony Vegas) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/101205-motherboard-intel-core-2-quad-q6600-sony-vegas.html)

Michael Wisniewski August 12th, 2007 10:00 PM

Motherboard for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600? (for Sony Vegas)

Any motherboard recommendations for the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?

Notes:
For Sony Vegas editing station.

Monish Bansal August 28th, 2007 01:44 PM

hi Michael

how does the Mobo affect the software???

you should get a mobo that good memory options i.e RAM how much Mhz does it support , Firewire, PCI ports, SATA connections etc. also should be future proof but with Quad Core it might already be ( for Now :) ).

hth :)

Shawn McCalip August 28th, 2007 06:09 PM

There are so many different makes and models out there that depend on what your overall goals are for the system. Like Monish said, I'd also recommend getting something with 4 slots for fast RAM, several SATA ports, and at least 2 PCI-Express slots for your video card(s). There are some other motherboard components that are worth looking into as well, such as the north and south bridges. There's a cool article posted in the DIY section on videoguys.com that goes into more explanation, so check them out. Actually, I think they're one of the sponsors for this site, so you might see a banner for them around here...

Michael Wisniewski August 28th, 2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monish Bansal (Post 735798)
how does the Mobo affect the software???

Sony Vegas can take full advantage of the Q6600 chip, so I want to make sure the motherboard is stable and supports all the features of the CPU.

Damon Gaskin August 29th, 2007 04:02 PM

I am running the Abit AB9 with my Quad. I run the most current bios(2.0) which is extremely stable! I don't think you can get the regular AB9's anymore, but I know the AB9 Pro is still available at Newegg at a great price. That one also has 10 SATA connectors, an eSATA connector for external and runs raid on both sets of SATA. I actually am looking to upgrade to that board simply for running a larger array and drive options.

The first/original bios for these boards were sort of quirky, but now, it is like a piece of cake(to be honest not that the original that I purchased with wasn't easy, it was just things such as the AHCI in nonraid causing issues) to work with! I know I am getting one before they stop making them because no other board as far as I have seen has as many SATA connectors on it! It's cheap too at 130.00 USD!

The only quirk to the board, which for me and I would think anyone looking to build a system now is the IDE port is at a horrible spot in respect to the rest of the slots for things such as PCI and that nature. But on mine, I don't run anything IDE, so it really doesn't matter. But I for one love the board and am sure I will love my Pro also when I purchase it!

I would recommend downloading the manual and reading through it before purchasing it. Actually for any motherboard to see if everything makes sense to you..

DD