to calibrate or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 28th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

to calibrate or not?

I just got a spiffy new monitor off of Ebay. The seller told me it was calibrated, but who knows, right?

I read somewhere that a good, accurate calibration is like a two hour long process. When I followed the video university tutorial on how to do it to another TV, it took around 15 minutes.

What I want to know is, should I try to calibrate it myself, or take it somewhere and have it done? Obviously I don't want to pay for it, but the whole reason I got it is so that I'd have something by which to accurately judge color, contrast, etc. when shooting and editing. Think I can do it myself if I follow the steps in that tutorial?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What kind of monitor is it? If it's a pro one you should have all the necessary knobs.

You can also check out this link about monitor calibration

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

It better be pro! It's a Sony PVM 14m2u. All the knobs are there--I'm wondering if there's anything that would prohibit me from calibrating it correctly, like not having some fancy piece of gear that a pro facility has.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah seems to be a pro one, so if you follow the link I provided you should be able to calibrate it yourself between 95 to 100% accuracy. If you want to be absolute sure, you have to use a hardware waveform monitor I think.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Alright, I tried it. Hope I did it right--still only took like 15 minutes.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC