DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Flickering or Artifact? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/10221-flickering-artifact.html)

Dave Heltzel May 29th, 2003 06:43 AM

Flickering or Artifact?

I am using a DELL P4 2.4 ghz, 120 gb 7200 rpm HD, 512 DDR RAM, and Windows XP. While editing and after exporting in Adobe Premiere I am getting a flickering or artifact in my video. It seems to be more than a flicker but a flash of light that looks like a tear in the video. Before Premiere I used a very basic NLE called MGI Videowave. I used this to to get my feet wet before messing with the big boys. I had a far lesser PC, it used Windows 98SE, and I didn't have this problem. I captured all my video in Adobe Premiere from my GL1 first then I disconnected it. And to tell you the truth I can't recall it having this problem when I first captured the video and put in the timeline for editing. I have only played it back on my monitor when viewing the results, but like I said I had a far lesser PC and NLE program and I didn't show these results on my monitor or when put on tape. Is it possible that this problem developed down the line while in Premiere since I don't recall seeing it in the beginning? What do I do? Please bless me with your advice.

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 09:01 AM

Do you see the artifacting "while" editing- on the pc screen or on an editing montior (or both?)...or just in your output source?

I had a similar problem a while back but it turned out to be some sort of incompatability on the camera's part- I was working with a Sony TRV-17 at the time. However your using the GL-1 which sholdn't have a problem printing to tape from the Premiere timeline.

Another thing to check is the heads on your camera. We are having a similar problem from footage shot at our last wedding with our XL1-S. Looks fine in the viewfinder but exibits artifacting after capture. The lack of continuity is beyond me- but his problem is camera related. Maybe dirty heads, or mis-aligned tape transport. He's sending it out to Canon for repair today as a matter of fact.

How long have you had your GL-1. What tape stock do you use- do you mix tape brands. If you've 1.Logged a lot of hours on the camera or 2.Recently mixed tape brands....I might try a head cleaning tape.

Good luck- keep us informed with your progress.

Dave Heltzel May 29th, 2003 09:42 AM

It occurs while editing and also is seen when I exported the video to a mpeg file. I don't think it has to do with the camera but I could be wrong. My hours on the camera are limited and I keep it clean. The more I think about, the more I think the problem lies with the software or computer. Reason being that I am pretty sure I did not have this problem when I first began editing and assembling my video on the timeline. I don't know if it is possible for something like that to develop but I am open to any ideas. It could be the tape or camera but I would like to know as many possiblities before I continue forward in addressing the problem.

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 10:33 AM

If the footage was "clean" when you originally captured it and has only NOW just started exibiting artifacting then I'd have to say it is the software...though it's nothing I've personally ever heard of. The best way to settle it would be to capture different footage from a different camera. Though if you don't have access to another camera you could 1.View the original raw footage thru the gl-1 out to the TV to inspect it for artifacting....and/or 2.Recapture some footage and see how it acts in Premiere.

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 11:33 AM

This is the problem I was having- I don't think this pertains to you but I'll post the link anyway:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2982a.htm