Learning curve- Premiere vs Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:35 AM   #16
Wrangler

How's the program stability of Vegas compared to Premiere. Premiere's instability and tendancy to crash is one of the reasons I'm actually considering the swtich. Once I built a new machine using XP (used to use 98se) it seemed much more stable but still no where as solid as some of Adobe's other offerings, namely Photoshop.

Also if I'm going to be using a Vegas/AfterEffects combo and edit in 24p how can I move the footage between the both? I know Vegas can remove the pull-down and work in native 24p but how does that corelate to swapping back and forth with AfterEffects?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:44 AM   #17
Major Player

I can't comment on AE & 24p, but regarding stability, Vegas is amazing. It doesn't crash.

I switched from Premiere because of stability. I never knew when Premiere would crash, over several different versions and a couple of computers, it was never quite stable. Sometime it would be stable for days and sometimes it would crash every 20 minutes. Maddening.

So far I have been unable to make Vegas crash.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 12:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I use Vegas4 and AE5.5 -- they are great together. The "interoperability" of Premiere and AE is way over sold. Glen you may also find that Vegas is even more stable than AE (as amazing as that sounds). I switched from Premiere and after a short time was very impressed with Vegas.

If you're editing in Vegas at 24p, you'll just go directly into AE the same way, making sure NOT to separate fields in the footage interpretation menu. (I'm assuming you're arriving at 24p in Vegas). In many ways AE is better with 24p than with 29.97i.

There are far better experts on this board regarding Vegas, etc. though.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:01 PM   #19
Wrangler

Well that pretty much makes up my mind. I printed the first 100 pages of the 4.0 manual today and have been reading up. I'll probably make the switch after we finish editing the next wedding scheduled for the 21st.
Hey- anyone wanna buy a Pinnacle DV500 w/ Premiere 6? ;)
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:05 PM   #20
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : I can't comment on AE & 24p, but regarding stability, Vegas is amazing. It doesn't crash.

I switched from Premiere because of stability. I never knew when Premiere would crash, over several different versions and a couple of computers, it was never quite stable. Sometime it would be stable for days and sometimes it would crash every 20 minutes. Maddening.

So far I have been unable to make Vegas crash. -->>>

Vegas 4.0 is very stable. Is very user friendly. Is very productive. And the final product always seems to look and sound great to my eyes and ears! In a nut-shell, I love Vegas 4.0.

However, I do know how to make it crash! It happens when I have the ASIO driver enabled for my sound card and make fast "play . . . stop. . . play. . . stop" during the editing process. After the third, "stop or play". Nothing happens. And an error messages pops up (don't remember it right now). In order to "make things right" again, I have to go into the audio device configure box and reset the software to my sound card.

Now the problem may not be entirely Vegas'es fault. I use MOTU's 2408 mkII as my sound card. This otherwise great sounding device does have its demons. (MOTU has its demons!!!)

The solution? Use the WDM drivers. THEN, I've had no crashes! :)

Ted

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC