DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Graphics card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/10335-graphics-card.html)

Stephen Sobel May 31st, 2003 07:37 PM

Graphics card

I'm researching options for a new desktop for video editing. I have Vegas DVDA.

I am looking for a graphics card that is good for moderate gaming, and that is compatible with Vegas.

Several options I've seen in dedicated video editing systems include the following:

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro;
ATI FireGL X1; and
Nvidia Quadro FX 1000.

Ignoring the price differences, I am interested in comparisions between them regarding both moderate gaming and Vegas editing. Any help or expereinces that can be shared will be appreciated.

Scott Poolen June 1st, 2003 03:08 AM

Maybe I'm saying something stupid here, but it is my understanding that Windows programs don't access the hardware directly, and thus there are no compatibility problams with any software. All interaction with the graphics subsystem in your computer happens through the windows DirectX layers.

And for gaming, the Radeon 9700 is better than the rest.

Stephen Sobel June 1st, 2003 05:31 AM

Are any of them better for video editing?

Elmar Tewes June 1st, 2003 08:38 AM

i don't think there is a difference between them in video editing. when you also use CAD software like Cinema 4D or 3D MAX or something like that i suppose a special card like a quadro will have a performance boost (i think they are produced exactly for that). i don't know vegas, but in premiere there is no difference (i use an ASUS TI4200 128 MB RAM, dual out for 2 RGB or 1 RGB + 1 DVI and it is ok for games). better invest in a better prozessor like the P4 HT ones instead of buying an expensive quadro

Alex Taylor June 1st, 2003 12:02 PM

Video cards will not affect NLEs. Aside from gaming, their importance lies in what Elmar mentioned: CAD software, 3D programs, and the like. What really matters in an NLE is processor power and RAM.

Out of those, the Radeon is the best for gaming, and has been for awhile. ATI has really turned themselves around in the last year, they're now considered to be leading the pack as far as video cards go.

Andrew Petrie June 1st, 2003 08:07 PM

For video editing, none of them are better than the others. You may however want to get something with a TV-out and/or a secondary monitor.

I use my Radeon 9700 for gaming, and the TV-out and secondary monitor, so it's a great card for all my needs. I have an old but functional 14" Samtron monitor I hook up to the secondary monitor output (which can be used for Plasma, and HD tvs too) and put my secondary apps on that screen, while my larger monitor houses Vegas. Definatly handy.

If I were you, I'd opt for the 9700, and put the money you save from buying the other two, into more RAM, faster CPU, or larger disk drive(s).

Bill Ravens June 2nd, 2003 07:05 AM

a standard card for video editting is the multiple headed Matrox G550 or parhelia

Joe Pasarela June 2nd, 2003 09:57 AM

I understand Stephen is using Vegas, but just as an FYI, Pinnacle's new Edition 5 editor utilizes both the CPU and the graphic card's GPU to render realtime effects. In this case, having a more powerful graphics card does make a difference. I wouldn't be surprised to see other editors follow Pinnacle's lead in the near future.

Joe

Randy Reyes October 20th, 2003 07:34 AM

Hi everyone! I need some advice on selecting a graphics card. I'll be editing with AVID and AfterEffects and animating with 3D Studio Max or Maya. In addition I would like play games with excellent image quality and fluidity.

Would a Quadro 4 card (900xgl or firegl,etc) be a good option? I've been considering an ATI 9800 card, too. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance :]

Robert Poulton October 20th, 2003 12:55 PM

I have an old system with an ATI 8500. I am running Maya, After Effects, Vegas, Photoshop, Premiere and loads of other software.
I notice that the drivers for the 8500 need to be current I don't have the newest ones out. I heard some problems with them. You can goto www.rage3d.com to see the latest drivers and information on the forums. Best site out there for ATI video boards.

Rob
PS- I have xwing vs. tie fighter on my computer and it runs amazingly well.

Bill Ravens October 20th, 2003 01:25 PM

Rob...

I'm running the Catalyst 3.7 drivers with an 8500DV and having no probs.

Brian Huey October 20th, 2003 02:21 PM

Check out this thread Randy:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14908

It talks about ATI cards, basically if you want the best and have the money I'd say go with the 9800pro and if your want to save a couple hundred bucks get the 9600pro.

Don't know about the Quadro 4 cards though.

Cheers,
Huey

Jean-Luc Addams March 11th, 2004 03:57 PM

I've just got a new system with a quadro fx1100 card (it replaces the older quadro fx1000) - this is the bigger brother of the quadro fx500.
The card is rock solid and has specific drivers for 3ds max 4/5/6 which make it a dream to use - think pure realtime animation and screen redraw.
It had duel head functionality with outs to dvi/vga/monitor
I used a 'gamers' card before and what this beast does with Discreets Combustion is simply amazing. I can now use it as a true edit/effects package instead of a few long winded fx shots!

I spent a whole load of time researching the different cards - quadro/fire gl/wildcat etc and the quadrofx came out on top in terms of price/power ratio. The quadro fx500 was just a little too underpowered for my uses.

Current UK price is about £600+ free copy of combustion 2.1

There are a new series of cards coming on the market by nvidia and ati that will utalise the new agp/pci standard, but motherboards aren't available that support them as yet!

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, maybe buying the components and building yourself is a good idea. i've saved 1000's this way.

Glenn Chan March 11th, 2004 07:16 PM

For gaming performance benchmarks, check out http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm It has a list of how various video cards stack up in performance + links to benchmarks.

Also check out the Ars Technica A/V forum at http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...562&f=67909965. Quickly skim through it for posts on which video card to get + any hot deals. At newegg.com the price difference between the 9700pro and 9800pro aren't much so I figure you might as well go for the 9800pro (128MB version).

Dual DVI output is only found on workstation cards, matrox cards, and a handful of gaming cards. You could also get a PCI card with DVI output if you need that. Check out ultramon.com (they have good articles there).

Gaming cards are better than much more expensive workstation cards at games. For video programs that take advantage of a video card, some programs like After Effects recommend workstation cards.

George Ellis March 11th, 2004 08:08 PM

Based on what I have seen as a Pinnacle LE user, I would go with an ATI 9x00 series. When LE shipped, there was some difficulty testing issues with the higher-end, high-dollar cards because the vendor did not have one in their labs. Picking the regular ATI cards give you a broader population of people using them, so that if there is an issue, it is easier for them to recreate and for other users to help find the issue.