ATI All in wonder 9700 Pro video card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ATI All in wonder 9700 Pro video card

Alright guys, I need advice. I’m planning on building my computer soon, but haven’t started yet. My friend just so happens to be selling his ATI All in wonder 9700 Pro video card. He had it for 2 weeks, but needs to sell it because he is moving. He says the card is over $400.00 brand new from CompUSA.

He wants $250.00 for the card. I like the fact that it can support dual displays. That would be really good for my web design/programming, graphics, and video editing. What other advantages are there? I may use my computer for subtle gaming also.

So my question, should I pick this video card up? Should I let the deal go? Should I get the rest of my system before I think about the graphics card?

Thanks in advance...

John
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Major Player

well first check ATI's site and see for your self the price they are selling it for. Second the only video cards I have ever had are ATI's and then 1 3dLabs. ANyways ATI's rock just like Nvidia. You cannot go wrong. I have an 8500 128mb and it rocks. You can also attach a monitor to your video card and watch your screen or project your computer display on the wall. Anyways goto ATI read about it and see for your self.

I have an old ATI all-in-wonder 8Mb video card from the 90's and that card could bring in half-rez video w/o dropped frames. I would of tried to bring in higher rez but the program wouldn't let me do it.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

An ATI Radeon 9000 Pro also supports dual monitors, and it's only about $120. It's also more than you need for "subtle gaming".
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

hmm...thats good to know. I notice some ATI cards (DV) have a built in firewire port. If the video card that I get doesnt NOT have a firewire port, would I have to buy a firewire card?

Sounds like the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro is the right card for me, being that its enough for light gaming and supports dual monitors.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

a firewire card is about $50 and yes you would need one if the card didn't have one.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

alright, thanks for the information. Now, is there a card out there that can support dual monitors, and also has a built in firewire port?
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Besides the ATI AIW cards? Dunno.

PS, you should be able to get a Firewire card for $25 or less that works just as well as a $200 card. That's what I use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC