NLE software recommendation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NLE software recommendation?

I've been using Vegas for a while, but I've been working on a project that incorporates quite a bit of "Ken Burns" style still work, and I've found Vegas to be somewhat lacking.

Specifically, I dislike the fact that Motion Blur/Supersampling is controlled by envelopes on the Video Bus, rather than per track or (better still) event, and the lack of Bezier keyframes available in Pan/Crop.

Can anybody recommend some reasonably priced software which is superior to Vegas in this respect?
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe you don't have to leave Vegas. Take a look at Ultimate S 3.1 plugin from VASST. It will probably do what you want it to do and is much cheaper than having to purchase another prosumer NLE and then having to go through the learning curve (of the new NLE).
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Specifically, I dislike the fact that Motion Blur/Supersampling is controlled by envelopes on the Video Bus
If you want, anything complicated can be put into its own .veg
You can then nest that .veg into your master project.

Quote:
the lack of Bezier keyframes available in Pan/Crop.
Pan/crop doesn't have bezier keyframes. However, you can right click the keyframe and select the "smooth" mode to get keyframes that ease in/out.

2- I'm not entirely sure what you're after, but programs like After Effects, Shake, and Combustion offer a lot more options and have steeper learning curves. They are not NLEs.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys.

Glenn, the nested approach is what I've settled on at the moment, but it would be much less complicated if everything were in the same project file, of course, and I'm still not really happy with the amount of control Vegas allows me over the motion blur. I'm working on a 25P project, so a "normal" 180 degree shutter corresponds to 2%, and the only other useful choices available are 1% (90 degrees) and 3% (270 degrees).

I'm fairly adept with After Effects; what I'd really like is an NLE like Vegas that also happens to have the functionality that's available through AE's Transforms (and the CC Force Motion Blur effect).

Jim, I don't think that Ultimate will help. The only Vegas plug-in I've found that will do what I want is Boris FX, which doesn't really integrate all that well with the Vegas workflow, and is a little more expensive than I'd like.
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Bezier masks are keyframable. You mean the Mask tool in Pan/Crop, right? It's explained under Create a Bézier mask in the help file.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Emre, I initially thought that Steve was looking for keyframable bezier masks... but the "bezier" in this case refers to bezier handles on keyframes. Vegas gives you choices like smooth and linear, but not bezier handles (like in the ProType Titler, or in AE or other programs).

2- Maybe Premiere would be helpful? I don't use it myself, but it has integration with AE and you might be able to use AAF to convert projects between Vegas and Premiere (*no idea if the AAF works perfectly and transfers all the settings you need).

2b- FCP has bezier keyframes for motion. I think motion blur is limited to increments of frames??
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC