DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   NLE Sound Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/10512-nle-sound-question.html)

Jeff Troiano June 5th, 2003 01:20 PM

NLE Sound Question

Ok, Have the new system done (with the exception of audio), even built a nifty little rolling rack, pc sits ontop, shelf underneth for external DVD burner, and set up for rack mount equipment underneath that. Going to get a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card, with an Alesis RA-150 reference amp, and Tannoy Reveal Monitors.

Here's the question:
Going to be getting Vegas + DVD, and I've read about it's 5.1 capabilities, and that may be something I may be getting in too, but not right away. My Motherboard (Asus P4C800 Delux) has onboard 5.1 output. So when the time came would there be a dissadvantage to using the onboard output to preview 5.1? I'm not really interested in setting up a 5.1 system around my computer, and I already have a very extensive home theater system, based around a Denon 7.1 reciever, and Pioneer 53" HDTV. If I decied later on to get more into the 5.1 will the onboard be acceptable? I could always Upgrade my home theater reciever, and use the old one with the NLE, or do they make PC speaker systems that decode 5.1 without the external reciever?

Any how if anyone has any input on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Troiano

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2003 04:57 PM

Most software DVD players can decode 5.1 channels on a
multi channel soundcard. I don't know if Vegas can output
on multiple channels. Another possibility might be to hook
up your home theatre set thought SPDIF out on your new
audio card so that your Denon (nice receiver!) can do the
decoding. But ofcourse you need to potion your speakers
to hear a surround field otherwise you will still not know
what your mixing and how it will sound...

Usually people go for the highest grade audio equipment,
cables and speakers they can afford to get the best audio.
This all depends on budget and how good your ears are.

For placing sound in a 3D environment I don't believe you'd
require high quality speakers. So you could hook up some
cheap ones to your onboard multi channel card or your
new sound card. After you are done positioning you can
listen to your track on your high end system to listen for
parts that need tweaking etc.

Jeff Troiano June 5th, 2003 05:14 PM

I understand, I guess what I'm asking is with the way technology is now a days, am I just putting off the inevitable by not setting up the computer with 5.1? and only using stereo speakers? I'm going for the best stereo audio I can afford, but should I be going for 5.1 now? I'm sure I could find a 25 foot coax cable somewhere.

Jeff

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2003 05:21 PM

If you are just starting out stick with stereo. Surround is a
whole different ballgame. Also you can always upgrade to that
whenever you might need it. So no need to do it now if you
don't really need it in my opinion. Try to master 2 channel
audio first and make it top notch before going to more channels.

From the description of your setup you greatly value a good
picture and sound so the things I describe above will probably
sound (no pun) good to you.

Tor Salomonsen June 6th, 2003 04:09 AM

Jeff,
I agree with Rob, go for stereo. Vegas can output to as many channels as you have on your system (and record all your in channels at once, to different tracks). You can (when you're ready for it) send left and right through your Audiophile and the rest of the 5.1 channels through your board - just hook up some cheap system to monitor it. Burn a test stretch on a CD (miniDVD or VCD) and try it on your big system.
I don't know the Audiophile card (I have a Delta 66) but maybe you can "cheat" out a couple more channels (Aux or something) so that gives you 4 out on the card and you need 2 on your board. Your Audiophile plus your motherboard's combined capabilities will be excelent for the purpose.

Jeff Troiano June 6th, 2003 05:38 AM

Thanks for the replys, think I will stick with the stereo for now. When the time does come I don't think it will be a problem. The motherboard it self has a digital out that is 5.1 (SPDIF coax) so I'm all set as far as the computer goes, and by that time I'll be ready to upgrade the Denon (really already to any way) and I can use the old reciever for 5.1 decoding on the pc.

Thanks again
Jeff Troiano