Caveat Emptor (Premier+XL1s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Caveat Emptor (Premier+XL1s)

I just installed Premier 6.5 and went to set my preferences for my device to Canon XL1s. The XL1s is not listed as an option, only DM-XL1. So I thought, let's go online and see if Adobe has a download for the XL1s. They don't.

I did find something that I really think Adobe should tell potential buyers that they have hidden in their web site.

If you are going to use a Canon XL1s and WindowsME and Premier 6.5 here is what Adobe says about that combination...

Model Number: Canon DM-XL1

WinME: Conditionally Supported

Qualifications:
Assemble Editing is unreliable. Batch Capture fails under WindowsME. This device supports "Frame Movie Mode" which is similar to Progressive scan. This device does not have a true progressive scan CCD, in Frame Movie Mode recorded video frames that lack the "interlacing distortion" or "field motion" characteristics of normal interlaces (60 fields per second) video. Frame Movie mode is recorded to tape exactly the same way as normal video.

Adobe says that the same problems will occur with Windows98 and 2K.

Has anyone had any problems with Editing with this system?

Thanks, Brian
Brian Boals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I never used my XL1s to do capture, just the GL1. I also only have Premiere 6.2, Win98/Win2k. However, I have never noticed any problems... other than the occasional Premiere crash. But that happens either way. Irritating, but livable. I like Premiere even if it is a bit quirky, cause I am too :)

I say go for it, and see what happens.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Yes, before I found Vegas bringing in any tape from my XL1S to Premiere was problematic. I found that I had to keep on starting and stopping the process. I could import one time and then the next time I would have to either shut down the camera, Premiere or both. I still do it on occasion. Sometimes it's the second time I try to import something in a session.
Old June 7th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I've not had problems with my XL1s, Premiere 6.5 and W2K, FWIW.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Brian,

Fisrt thing to do is ditch Windows ME! Basically it's junk when it comes to video editing. Windows 2000 or XP would be a much better choice. I've never had any problems capturing from my XL into Premiere.

One thing that you might find useful is Scenalyzer for capturing. It does a much better job than Premiere and is relitively cheap at USD$33.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC