DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   trying to force 16:9 on 4:3 TV's?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/107140-trying-force-16-9-4-3-tvs.html)

Guy Godwin November 2nd, 2007 08:28 PM

trying to force 16:9 on 4:3 TV's??

I am using Pinnacle Studio Plus version 11 for my editing. Do any of you know and if so how? can I force a 16:9 screan to be shown by all 4:3 TV's?

Is this possible?

Bruce Foreman November 2nd, 2007 11:25 PM

Most DVD players now have some options in setup, look for something like P&S (pan and scan) letterbox setting. It may be labeled different on different players.

In Pinnacle Studio there is a way to do what you want but it may kind of backfire on you when that disk is played on a widescreen TV. But what you do is set your preferences so that 4:3 or 16:9 is set by the first clip placed on the timeline. Find a project with 4:3 video and temporarily place one clip on the timeline, add a blank title screen in front of that (which will be 4:3) then add your first widescreen clip and delete the unwanted 4:3 clip. That first widescreen clip and all subsequent ones will be "forced" letterbox and they will play back as letterboxed on 4:3 TV's.

I would just edit it as a widescreen project and if a family member couldn't get their DVD player to accomodate it, buy them the chaapest DVD player you can find (pretty much everything made and sold now has setup options for most any screen format TV.

I also edit in Studio 11.1.1 (latest update patch) plus.

Kevin Shaw November 2nd, 2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 769356)
can I force a 16:9 screan to be shown by all 4:3 TV's? Is this possible?

Just edit and burn your project as a widescreen DVD and label it accordingly. Most people should have figured out by now how to set their DVD players for widescreen movies, unless they've never encountered one.

Guy Godwin December 13th, 2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 769404)
Just edit and burn your project as a widescreen DVD and label it accordingly. Most people should have figured out by now how to set their DVD players for widescreen movies, unless they've never encountered one.

Kevin, For what ever reason?? When I do this and put the DVD in my DVD player it appears on my 4:3 compressed and forced into the 4:3.

Josh Chesarek December 13th, 2007 09:13 PM

As said its usually a setting on the DVD player or sometimes on the TV. I have a cheap apex player that allows you to select either 4:3 or 16:9. If I am on 4:3 and its a 16:9 movie its all wonkey. The other thing that bugs me is I can only get to the right setup menu to fix it when there is no disk in the player. But once it is set, I am good to go. Either way check the DVD players setup menu and TVs for anything relating to Aspect Ratio and such.

Guy Godwin December 13th, 2007 09:56 PM

OK - I got it to work.
In one of the menu's there is a project preferences and you can set this to widescreen and then just make the files.

It worked really good.

Josh Chesarek December 13th, 2007 10:05 PM

So in doing this your newly burned DVD played fine on your TV/DVD Player without changing any settings on it?