Laptop for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Laptop for editing

Hello,

Looking at new laptops for editing with vegas, kind of on a budget.. have always had Sony, but am looking at HP..Does anyone else edit with an HP laptop?/ No problem with software (mainly vegas) seeing the Firewire port ??

what if the system does not have a firewire port, and you add one via PCMIA card ?? does this work out ok ??

any feedback apprectiated..

Thanks !!
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Major Player

After my piece of garbage IBM Thinkpad died, I priced out a Dell laptop with everything that I wanted and found that it ran about $3,500. I didn't happen to have $3,500 to spare so I looked around. I ended up buying a refurbished HP Pavilion ze5170 from Tiger Direct for $1,200. P4 2.0 512 RAM, 40 gig drive, firewire, DVD/CD-R, usb, LAN, modem. It had all the bells and about 7/8ths of the whistles that I was looking for.

For Vegas it has been great. I added a 60 MB external firewire drive. The laptop has no problems recognizing the firewire connections for either the deck or the drive. The drive has a pass through so I can capture from the deck to the drive through the computer with no problems. Great machine for the money.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...u=h30-1010%20p
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

Thanks Rick for that good inormation !! This site is a really great and useful site..

Would like to hear of any others using laptops to edit.. and their configurations..

mike
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm using a laptop from Earl Foote at www.pcnirvana.com. It has worked very well with Vegas. No problems with capturing, editing, or printing.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello,

thanks for replying Ed.. Your reply triggered another question i had.. What screen resoulution are you running on your laptop to run Vegas.?? Is it 1024 by 768 ? Is this the minimum resoulution vegas will run here ? Maybe you are running a higher resolution.??

Thanks,
mike
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #6
Major Player

The one thing that I wasn't crazy about in buying the HP Pavilion was the screen resolution of 1024 x 768. The previous machine I was using I had the screen set to 1280 x 960 when editing in Vegas.

I have been pleasantly surprised how well I can edit even at 1024 x 768. Of course I can edit at much higher resolutions if I use an external monitor, but that pretty well does away with the mobility of a laptop.
Old June 12th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #7
RED Code Chef

I use a DELL Latitude C800 (from work) with 256 MB of memory
running Windows 2000 Professional. I have an external Maxtor
firewire drive (160 GB) and a Canon XL1s. No problems with
either of them running on my laptop.

I also have a standalone system (768 mb / Win XP Prof.) with
a firewire card (3 ports) and Promise ATA133 controller. Everything
just runs fine on this as well. Gotta love Plug and P(l)(r)ay these
days!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

It actually came at around 1600 x ???. I actually had to reduce the resolution in order to read the screen. I think I reduced it to somewhere around 1100 x ???. I'd have to boot it up to look for the actual numbers.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #9
New Boot

Alienware!

I bought a Alienware laptop.
It is big, heavy and expensive but the best you can get!
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Laptop NLE

I use a Gateway 600 XL with XP Pro using Premiere 6.5 and can do what I need in the field such as cutting together clips for post previews or compression. The problem with complex effects or multiple tracks when cutting with laptops is the 5400 RPM drive. Your not going to get the reliability and seek time as with 72K or 10K drives. Overall, it is a workhorse. It runs about 2500.00 but they're running specials all the time. I got a free desktop system with this purchase.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Whenever buying computer hardware over the Internet it's always a good idea to check out Reseller Ratings to read reviews of online retailers. One of the more highly regarded online retailers for laptops is Power Notebooks. Check out their ratings here. Perhaps you could custom build one for DV editing?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #12
Major Player

Hello,

James Emory said

"The problem with complex effects or multiple tracks when cutting with laptops is the 5400 RPM drive. Your not going to get the reliability and seek time as with 72K or 10K drives. "

i noticed most laptops use a 5400 rpm drive, and i always thought a 7200 rpm drive was required for DV editing.. Anyway as far as not being able to do complex effects and multiple tracks.. i am assuming you are talking about realtime editing ? I would think if you render you could do these things, even with a 5400 rpm drive..

mike
Old June 17th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Drive speed

You can definitely edit video but it will just not be as efficient as using faster drives. Also, even though partitioned, the drive is shared with all other functions of the laptop instead of having dedicated drives for a/v. I haven't done any complex projects with the laptop yet as with the desktop NLE and the lack of real time effects has taken some getting used to. I definitely will not rely on the laptop for finished work until technology provides faster drives and real time effects. It is a great tool to have with me at any time if I have an idea and want to cut something together quickly to see how it looks.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Laptop drive speed can be an issue, though less and less of one. The old 5400 vs 7200 speed thing seems to be a non-issue. I use 120 gig 5400 WD drives in my desk top editing computer without a problem. (My only problem is that 120 gigs seems a lot smaller than it used to be.)
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Drive speed

If you haven't used a system with 10K SCSI drives, then you don't know what you're missing. Everything is instant when I need it on the desktop NLE with NO dropped frames whereas with the laptop, there is a delay at times with the 54K drives and occassional dropped frames on imports. I don't think laptops are there yet for complex projects with existing internal drives.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC