DV Deck Solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV Deck Solution

I was wondering if there would be any major issues with using a less expensive DV camera as a DV deck. Decks seem to be fairly expensive and I was thinking "why not just buy a $200 dv camera and use that solely as a deck." I know that there can be issues with timecoding, but would it lessen the quality of the picture/audio? Thanks in advance for your response.

Daniel Lynn
Daniel Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It is a digital transfer so the 1s and 0s would be the same.

This is assuming that the 1s and 0s are being read back correctly. The DV format and most video formats apply error correction to correct errors... but if there are too many errors, it will not work and you will get what is known as dropouts (data not being read back correctly). In that case, there are various solutions. The first thing to try is to get the camera that shot the tape to play the tape back (this will solve head alignment issues).

The really high end decks have better head tracking... this might help for really problematic tapes.

Otherwise using a cheap camera as a VTR makes sense... especially since equipment depreciates in value.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC