Proper Network Setup and Configuration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Proper Network Setup and Configuration

I have two PC's I use for video/photo editing and rendering progjects. I am also using Sony Vegas 8.0a, Premiere Pro CS3 and After Effects CS3. I am still in the process of determing which workflow and setup is best for me, but have been using Vegas for a bit on a single machine. I use Cineform Aspect and/or NEO HDV for AVI format.

Machine 1:
P4 HT 3.8 Ghz processor
2 Gig of Ram
Windows XP Pro
1x250 SATA System and Software Drive
2x750 Gig SATA 7200RPM Internal Drives No RAID config
Decent ATI video card can't remeber but holds up well under HDV editiing and General use

Machine 2:
Dell Precision Laptop
X7900 Duo Core Extreme 2.8 Ghz processor
4 Gig of Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 32 Bit
120 Gig internal HD

I use Machine 1 for storage as I now have 1.75TB of space. All machines have Gig-E cards and get between 150 and 300 Mbps of throughput depending on the setup.

I would like to know proper and or prefered setups for vegas and Premiere to accomplish the following. If my noob mindset is wrong step in and teach me a thing or two.

1. I would like to use machine 1 for Mass storage of project files, video, audio, and pictures. I would also like to consider this as my capture and render box as well. It sits off to the side most times idle.

2. I would like to be able to edit on my laptop as I bought a powerhouse that is portable and should free me to work on the road and in house as well. I believe the Coure 2 Extreme's are 64 bit capable and I am considering upgrading Vista to 64 Bit, questions, comments, concerns??? Please speak up on this one

How do I setup these apps in a network enviroment with a remote roaming laptop to maximize stability, libraries, project links, etc.

I was thinking the following:
1. Map and Use common drive letters to the shares on both machines. This will provide uniformity in naming, location and file syncronization.

2. Vista and XP support offline files and synchronization, so it is possible to keep working amounts of data acessible on the road as well as in house.

Am I better off using the Core 2 Extremes for capture and render vs the P4 HT on machine 1? This would reduce the amount of rendering and capturing as this is a multi-use machine.

Any good advice for this type of setup? Is the network going to be to slow to edit remote files? If I render on the laptop to files stored on Machine 1 will this be too slow for the disk access?
Adam Mendelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC