HD Ready SD editing machine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD Ready SD editing machine

Hey guys....

Ok I posted this over in the HD editing section.

I'm finally getting to build my new editing system. As I haven't decided what HD camera system to upgrade to yet (and probably won't til late 08) I wanted to make a system that is HD ready for when the time comes...

this is what i'm thinking....

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C
2x Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - (i know XP will only see 3GB)
XFX PVT71JYPF4 GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - 1 as system drive and 1 as scratch
2 x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (not in an array as i'm still in SD)
Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-212DBK
2x SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 70SB104000000 7.1 Channels PCI Express
Koutech 3+1 Port FireWire/1394b & 1394a PCI Host Controller Model 1314
Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Set of BX5a's for speakers

Soup to nuts about $3100ish

Just for further fodder....i am currently running Premiere Pro 2.0.....I am thinking about upgrading to CS3 in the future. I am currently an XL-1s user and I am torn upgrading to XL-H1 or switching over to the JVC GY-HD200. So i do realize that a blackmagic card and cineform are probably in my future as well, but as i'm not upgrading camera gear just yet, I'll hold off on these items until i can get some good deals on a certain auction site...

besides the standard keyboard and mouse....is there anything that i'm missing?
~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Major Player

That looks like a good setup. Price looked high at first, but I usually don't count all of peripherals, so once I added it up, it seemed about right. I just bought a dual Xeon system for less than that, but I already have the Monitors, Video Card, X-Fi, etc to steal from my old system, which adds up.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.....with all of the new processors, hard drives, and whatnot, its a whole new ball game compared to 3 years ago when i last built a pc, so i wanted a second opinion

Yeah, all those peripherals add up quickly.....over $1000! and i haven't even added in any new dedicated editing equipment!

do you have dual core or quad core Xeons? and how do the Xeon chips dual or quad compare to core 2 quad chips?

~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC