time for another new PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

time for another new PC

My current PC is three years old so I'm going to build another one. It works fine but I want to stay up to date.

I run Vegas 6.0 and just installed 8.0 but havn't used it yet. I only do SD with an XL-2 and a cheapy Optura 50.

If I build a new system that can accomodate HD will it also comfortably handle SD.

I do industrial presentations, business tutorial, and personal family stuff only.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also where to buy components. I bought the old one from Monarch Computers but there gone.

Thanks and Merry Christmas all,

Thomas Edward Bufkin
Thomas Edward Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

As I recommend to most other people, Core2Quad system, currently 2.4Ghz is the sweet spot for reasonable budget. 4GB Ram, 500GB drives are the cheapest per GB. Use WinXP still. VGA card depends on your monitor situation.
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I recently proced out a new box with parts from both Tiger Direct and NewEgg.
I was pretty sure I was going to go with Tiger as my old system which is now 6 years old and starting to show it's age but found I could get the case I wanted along with a few other things for a bit less at Newegg.
If I were you go to both websites, price them out and go from there.
BTW, if you register at Newegg you can set up a wish list and save it, Tiger isn't set up like that yet so I simply copied and pasted to a word doc to compare.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Thomas. The current 65nm Quad Core will certainly do the job, and at a nice price point, too. But if you don't mind waiting for The Next Great Thing, the 45nm desktop processors ought to be readily available within a couple months (officially Q1 2008).

As always, we'll pay a bit more for "latest, greatest" technology but along with the associated chipset updates, they'll undoubtedly be faster with lower power consumption and heat generation.

For now, the consensus seems to be "stay with XP" but who knows, maybe by the time we're all ready to build our first 45nm boxes, Vista SP1 will be out and satisfy those of us who held back amid all the negative reports to date. Maybe.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Zipzoomfly.com is another company to look at, along with newegg and tiger. I use them all the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC