Help...Should I get this!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 19th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help...Should I get this!?

I'm looking at a new Sony Vaio for sale at a local computer shop. Specs as follows:

Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ with Hyper-Threading Technology
1GB DDR SDRAM
64 mb nVIDIA G-force 4 video card
250 GB HD
DVD-R - CD-RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
I-link IEEE 1396 compatible
Built in memory stick reader
6 usb ports
10/100 NIC Card
Windows XP Home edition
Sony digital studio software bundle
Speakers, keyboard, mouse

COMES WITH 18' Flat panel TFT screen

$2500

Is that a good deal!? How do Sony Vaio's stand up with video editing? is it easily upgradable? Is it compatible with NLE software out there?

Another question i have is, I know that it has a secondary port connection for a special kind of monitor. I think its something like a digital I/O connector. Not all monitors have this connector. Would I be able to hook up another monitor to this connector and achieve "dual display" capabilities? I really like the idea of being able to utilize the desktop space amongst 2 monitors. Very handy while editing video.

Any input, opinions, suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #2
High School Student

Re: Help...Should I get this!?

Eh, i'm not sure, I haven't been keeping up with prices and stuff lately, but that sounds like a decent deal.

"Another question i have is, I know that it has a secondary port connection for a special kind of monitor. I think its something like a digital I/O connector. Not all monitors have this connector. Would I be able to hook up another monitor to this connector and achieve "dual display" capabilities? I really like the idea of being able to utilize the desktop space amongst 2 monitors. Very handy while editing video. "

Are you talking about the DVI connection (or whatever)? If so, then they usually include a DVI to standard 15-Pin VGA connector so you can use dual monitors. Most LCD monitors today have DVI connections though.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm, thanks Alex, What about Sony computers in general. Are they as reputable as thier other products? I love sony, but ive heard some scary things. I dont exactly want to encounter the same...
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Sony Computers are ok (for the most part IMHO they all suck), that being said so are Dells, Gateways and others, the problem is the fluff to create added value to the system. Many times Sony and the others use proprietary systems to isolate and insure your brand loyalty. I was watching HSN the other day and the same or close to it Sony system with the same monitor was selling for $1800. I can gurantee you that Sony is making quite a profit with their systems. Most consumer-level or mass produced PC's use the lowest bidder approach. Sure they will give you what they think you know, Intel processor, GB of storage and RAM, but motherboards and brands of RAM well that goes for who is the lowest bidder in some third world nation. If you need to have some one build you a decent system check out Falcon Northwest (Cha ching $$$), Micron (cool) and Alienware.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC