DVI Input? Does it enable dual monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVI output? Does it enable dual monitors?

the video card on my computer has one standard vga monitor input, and a DVI output. Does this mean I have the capibility of hooking up a monitor with a DVI connection and have dual displays? Is there a VGA to DVI adapter? Please help!
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

(You probably mean outputs, not inputs.)

Likely not. Unless your video card explicitly advertises dual head operation, your analog output will probably be disabled if you connect a DVI output. DVI jacks are included as a convenience to accomodate the growing number of LCD monitors on the market.

As for your question about DVI to VGA adapters, they are extant and they run about $10. See here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

awww....crappy! lol....thanks Robert. I appreciate it.

john
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

you know what. I just checked the NVidia website, and it states that the GeForce4 MX 440 DOES have nView Multi-display Technology. Has anyone ever heard of a multi-display video card with one vga port and one DVI port? Or, since It came with this card, maybe sony modified it and took away one vga connector? damn...i want dual displays....
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, actually that's pretty common among the new video cards. Some are even shipping with 2 DVI out ports, and they just toss one DVI->VGA converter in the box.

You should consult your specific product documentation though, to see about your card. Or you can always go drop the $10 on a DVI->VGA adapter, toss on a monitor, and see if you can get it to work.

It could go either way though. I have 2 cards that look almost exactly the same on the back (one vga, one dvi) and one of them can do dual head and one can't. It's really a per-model decision.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #6
Major Player

On the NVIDIA Chipsets they have a siftware based dual monitor support by using a software program called Twinview. This will allow you to view two simulatanoues screens with two video outputs, i.e. TV-OUT, DVI, etc. Twinview will allow you to "merge" the inputs.
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

cool...where do i get this Twinview software? First, ill get a VGA to DVI adapter, connect another monitor and test to see if it supports dual monitors. If that doesnt work, ill check out this twin view program...

Thanks for all of your input!!! I appreciate it alot!
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:55 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

A lot of newer cards actually support dual monitor (through an
extra composite/svhs port or DVI). It might and it might not.
Easiest way is to try it out (both monitor must be powered on
and connected BEFORE booting windows).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC