DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   How to capture audio from other computer sources (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/11266-how-capture-audio-other-computer-sources.html)

Bryan Roberts June 25th, 2003 11:31 AM

How to capture audio from other computer sources

Hey, I went to a person's site and they had a cool song playing on the first page and I was wondering if there was a software that could allow me to capture this audio? In other words, a software that could capture whatever audio is being played from a site, or a streaming movie etc. Thanks!

Bryan Roberts June 25th, 2003 12:26 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out :D Thanks! -Bryan...... (wish I'd try harder first before posting :D)

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 25th, 2003 02:55 PM

How did you do it, Bryan?

I happen to be doing it right now with some unsavable RealAudio material. My method involves looping the speaker output from one computer to the line in of another computer. Pretty high tech, huh?

David Hurdon June 25th, 2003 04:33 PM

Both of my PCs have different generations of Sound Blaster cards and both allow for setting the record function to 'what you hear'. I guess they pick up the audio pass-through the way an animated screen capture utility picks up the VGA signal, but however they do it - it works.

David Hurdon

Tor Salomonsen June 26th, 2003 12:43 AM

If your soundcard is full duplex you could even play and record on the same computer, might still have to use a "jumper cable" though - depending on the card setup.
On another forum I've just seen someone mention that there used to be a utility called ra2wav or something. But that might not help if your ra is unsaveable.

Bryan Roberts June 26th, 2003 07:49 AM

Robert - well there are two ways I figured out how to do it, the first way is quite ghetto.

1. If you think about it, your output chord to your speakers is simply carrying a signal, so if you just plug the stereo mini plug that's outputing to your speakers into your input of your soundcard, then it's just sending the signal back to itself. I then recorded the sounds with Sound Forge.

2. Then I figured out that I was a moron. I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card (not a bad card) that I can just select the source for recording from. So I changed it from "microphone" to "stereo mix" and then recorded again in Sound Forge. This way I could still hear what was going on rather than the ghetto above trick where you lose your speaker audio. Now you can record any sound played over your computer regardless if it's streaming, or encoded or download-protected (at your own risk ;) ) Pretty cool trick, even though it's rather basic. Happy sound capturing :D !

Rob Lohman July 11th, 2003 07:46 AM

Another possability is to look in the HTML source and download
the song from their webserver...