Quad Xeon x 2 cpu system or single quad system ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Quad Xeon x 2 cpu system or single quad system ?

Hi guys,

Does anyone out there have a double Xeon cpu chip system ?

To clarify, 2 Xeon chips on a single motherboard.

I'm wondering if going with a new system with 2 Intel Xeon Quad Core chips would blow away a new computer sysem with a SINGLE Intel Quad Core chip.

* I have checked up and down the net ( using Google ) and have not found any actual specs in terms of render times within any video editor where it shows a single Quad Core vs an Xeon chip X 2 in a robust system.

I want to know if rendering times would be 2x faster in the Xeon system where 2 Xeon chips are at work, and when does this extra power actually come into play ? ( is at rendering time only ? )

I don't know if this is a popular setup, but I hope to spark some good responses,

Thank you,

Dave.
David Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's a great discussion of that subject in this very forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107204
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Generally you will get better performance, the more cores you have n your system. And although sometimes more processors is preferable to more cores on a processor, the latest generation makes good use of both.

Your milage will vary depending on your applications and OS.

A recent review of one of the latest dual Quad Core systems can be found on Studiodaily.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

the problem with the intel multicore technolgy versus the one developped by AMD , is all the core are sharing the same path to memory.
So you got a huge processing power, but if at the same time you need to apply it to a lot of data (like video), there will be a bottleneck on the access to the memory.
So a good dual core is still a good performer versus a quad core.
With processor on a different socket you can have (while is is not always the case) a memory path for each processor. For this you have to check the chipset.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not being a tech person, do I understand that this is not yet a time to expand to the bigger core system, because the pathway is not able to facilitate the true useage of the resources?

By the way, thanks for the link to the review - very impressive although expensive system.

Last edited by Bill Spearman; March 9th, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

yes you better had to put the money in core2 duo fast paced processor(3+ Ghz) ,with fast bus (fastest is 1300Mhz today) with fast memory. than in a slow quad.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm not a 'geek' but my advice is to buy the latest generation Intel CPU and go for dual quad cores at the level you can afford. Skip AMD, as they are seriously behind the game right now.

I find this site usefull to compare processor models/series. There are lots of test and review sites to clutter your mind.

There are good deals to be had now on the previous 5300-series, but I believe it is better (not necessarily more economical) to go for the latest 'architecture'.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC