DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   How are your "Drives" set-up? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/117932-how-your-drives-set-up.html)

Ken Bates March 27th, 2008 02:31 PM

How are your "Drives" set-up?

As a Premiere user, I am thinking about how to set up the HDs in my PC for a logicaly organized and performace tuned system. I can specialize on NLVE for this box as I have another for gaming and Office and such.
I have a 37G 10Krpm WD drive (for XP and the few Apps I have)
and a 250GB partitioned in a 60/40 split.
Also plenty of networked storage for archiving etc...
I have not messeed with "Scratch Disks" but as I am considering buying another HD, maybe an additional 10Krpm SATA HD could be dedicated to this?
How are you set up, what do you reccomend in my situation.

Daniel Browning March 27th, 2008 02:50 PM

• One OS+Apps disk (also used as scratch)
  • One more scratch disk.
  • One render disk.
  • One big 4TB RAID-5 for most media (322 MB/s reads, 39 MB/s write)
  • A few piles of e-SATA disks for other media
  • Backup disks (e-SATA, again) rotated off-site.

I'm very pleased with the speed of the Samsung Spinpoint F1 disks so far, I'm getting over 100 MB/s on the outer spindle sustained for over 30 GB.

I avoid network storage because gigabit ethernet is so slow compared to eSATA. I'm considering the idea of building a four-channel LACP NAS (4000 Mbps), but I'm concerned that SMB or NFS would become the botteneck.

Steven Davis March 27th, 2008 02:55 PM

IcyDock

I have both an external IcyDock external hotswappable drive, and a three bay IcyDock bay that is in my main box. I just feed them WD500 drives. And yes, I am gaining a collection.

The tech support at Icy Dock is awesome.

Adam Gold March 27th, 2008 11:28 PM

160GB 10K rpm system + apps disk
7 x 1TB 7200 rpm video disks in RAID 3

Was going to set up each 1TB as a different scratch disk but got talked out of it, and now I'm glad I did. System builder says it's one of the fastest arrays he's ever seen.

Works pretty fast and pretty stably.

Note that Adobe points out that partitions don't help you at all and warns against using any kind of networked storage for editing.

Ken Bates March 28th, 2008 07:11 PM

Interesting...so what do you mean a "Render Disk"? The destination of rendered videos/ Hmm. Whya sepaerte disk for that? faster to write to a drive that is not being read from at the same time?

TY, Did not know Adobes recomendation on the Partitios and Network drives. Like I say, I am at a point where I can re-think my setup a little and I use the NAS as a long term storage of family videos. If I have a project, I will move the ones I am working with to a local disk.
Just tryin to stay organizd at the same time..
Thanks

Daniel Browning March 29th, 2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bates (Post 850372)
Interesting...so what do you mean a "Render Disk"? The destination of rendered videos? Hmm. Why a separate disk for that? faster to write to a drive that is not being read from at the same time?

Precisely. It's most useful for uncompressed.