Motherboard needed - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #61
Major Player

It means that it recognises a second (virtual) CPU, not necessarily that it's taking advantage of it. HT is different to SMP and programmes have to be written with this in mind.

FWIW, Premiere Pro is both HT and SMP aware.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #62
Trustee

the majority of content creation programs are smp aware. nearly all 3D apps do (like 3ds max 5.x, maya 5.x, etc.) and photoshop, premiere, after fx, etc. can't be too sure on macromedia but they should be too.
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #63
Major Player

Premiere and AE are only SMP in the new, yet to be released, versions. The current versions are not AFAIK.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:50 AM   #64
Major Player

Hi Yi Fong Yu.

I understand your reaction, but please take into consideration this:

In my first post I said "Unless you have rather a big budget ( meaning a lot of money to spend), you will have to make some compromises and manage carefuly the resouces (money) you have, in order to get as much equipment as you can.". Of course if one can, a dual processor machine with plenty of RAM, SCSI 320 RAID and 15000 rpm disks is the best to have, but that costs a lot of money.

When you say dual processor machines is minimum requirement for video editing, I have to desagree with you. My experience and i.e. the Matrox site say that you don't need that. You can take advantage of that processing power if you do complex video editing wich is not the case with Charles (he is begining). With the price difference between a dual machine and a single machine, one can buy a video editing card with real time complex transitions, effects and MPEG-2 encoding included.

Best rgards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #65
Trustee

re: smp for adobe stuff:

i don't think ps4.x does but since 5.5 and later it has been smp aware. when i ran premiere 5.0 it was dual capable. i dunno abuot AE 5.0 but 5.5 prod bundle right now is dual capable.

so ps after 5.5, prem after 5.0, AE after 5.5 =). you know how when it renders it shows you the colors well for smp it won't show you the color pie chart =). it's disabled for some weird reason.

i just hope that the new prem written from the ground up will be groundbreaking. 5.5 and lower sucked in terms of editing. it was simply too slow even on smp vs other dv apps. even pinnacle 8.x beats it.

re: cost of smp.

again, it depends on what you are doing. if you're checking email,etc. single proc is fine. if you are into content creation, not just dv editing but even web, 3D, etc. it's really the industry standard to do it on dual cpu. by choosing single proc you're paying only about 70-80% of a smp system. a good smp system nowadays doesn't REQUIRE scsi, it's preferable but scsi is what kills the price of the 'workstation'. WD just came w/SATA, 10k rpm hd named, "raptor" though only 40gb or so it's REALLY good. i have it (non RAID) but it's best bang/buck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC