Is premiere worth dropping for Vegas 4.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is premiere worth dropping for Vegas 4.0

Over the past 2 years I have been using adobe premiere. It's decent but there are many bugs and I just can't take it anymore. I have also just purchased Vegas 4.0 Dvd. I've been trying to work with it for a few days now but I can't even apply a transition. (I'm not sure where to put it because the whole layout is different from Premiere) Haha. I'm guessing that the program is amazing since I've seen some great reviews on it. It also doesn't seem very hard to learn. I guess it's just because I've been using Premiere so long. Alright, Later.
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Not sure if you're really asking this, but here's how to apply a transition: Overlap two video events on a track. Make the overlap roughly as long as you want the transition to last. Press Ctrl-Alt-1 and select the transitions folder. Click-drag your preferred trasition and drop it on the overlap. That's it. You may now fine-tune the duration of the thing, if needed, by pulling at the edges of the events.
Transitions are placed on overlapping events. But you may apply them to a fade, too. Make a fade by dragging the upper corner of an event and drop your transition on the resulting fade.
I can't advise you on Vegas vs Premiere. I've only used Vegas and it has never given me one reason to even consider anything else.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #3
High School Student

David, this is something you might want to consider reading the manual/help file for...it will clear everything up for you.

Oh yeah, remember to use the S button to cut. :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #4
Trustee

As for the question itself, I'd say yes for sure. Premier has nothing on Vegas. Vegas is like Final Cut Pro; Premier is what you might get bundled with a cheap DV camera. Ok maybe I'm being a little cruel, but Vegas is much superior, that's for sure. I don't know anything about the new Premier Pro, but if you've purchased Vegas + DVD by all means use it.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'm not even going to go there- I just got over a 2-day argument with Premiere users over this very subject. In short-form....YES it is worth switching. YES, it's quite hard at first...especially comming from the Premiere workflow. And YES, when you get the hang of it you'll never look back. Nuff said.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just got home from filming some skating today, and man, I'm working with Vegas and I'm really starting to get the hang of it. Bye Bye Adobe Badmiere haha. Later and thank you all.
Old July 13th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alright, one more question. How do I make text transparent.
For instance. Trick comes into view..... skaters name at the bottom, where you can see the trick and the name. In premiere its super easy but where is the tab to do it in Vegas. This is very important when making a skate video which I am doing. By the way, I love vegas and I'm never going back to Premiere.

Ps. I add text and the trick fades out so I need to be able to see them both. Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #8
Major Player

all you need to do is right click in the video channel you wish to add the text then select insert text. Then you just move it up one channel to create an empty channel for all your text. It will then just have the text and the black will not be there covering up your screen.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you Robert. :)
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hopefully the last question... how do you slow clips down. The speed that is. I couldn't find it in the help section of Vegas. I need to do this to make it go with the songs im using and to make it flow. thank you, later.
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

You also might want to look at the newsletters at http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Wrangler

Yeah it's going to be a bit tedious learning Vegas soley through this board. Check out Ed's newsletter, and if you still have lots of questions I'm sure they'd have no problem with you breaking them down and asking them all individually over at the Sonic Foundry forums- that's what they are there for.

Also check out:

For training
http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com/
http://classondemand.net/
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/shopping/category.asp?id=8

Online Tutorials
http://www.wideopenwest.com/%7Ewvg/tutorial-menu.htm
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/vegasvideo.html
[url]http://www.martyhedler.com/homepage/Vegas_Tutorials.html?Welcome_Visitor=1058151372[url]
http://www.vegasusers.com/

Good luck with learning about Vegas- I'm putting about 2 hours a night aside to go thru the Sonic Foundry "Digital Video and Audio Production" book for Vegas, and the DVDs from ClassOnDemand. As you can tell, I can be a bit obsessive when I find a new toy...
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

After 2 years I gave up on Premiere as well. Even a big "Adobe guy" like my self, I have complety had it with that thing. The audio editing sucks so bad. I guess Adobe didn't think audio was that importent. About 70% of the time I am "fighting" Premiere then actualy getting productivity done when I used it. It also used to crash on me too quite often. Now they are trying to make a come back with Premiere "Pro", but it's too close to the same thing before. I wouldn't do it.

Vegas runs circles around Premiere. The audio stuff rocks. Vegas 4.0 has new features to get rid of frame jidder that version 3.0 didn't have. The transitions are great and it will run even on a P2 400mhz machine.

The only thing that I don't like about Vegas, is that it doesn't alow you to play the timeline out to tape like Premiere did. I still load up Premiere to do that every now and then. If someone has a solution, let me know!

Good luck
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hmm. So how am i going to export an edit when I am done with it. I usually just hit record on my camera and let it play from the computer onto my DV tape on adobe. How will I go about exporting my completed video to DV tape with Vegas 4.0?
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:45 AM   #15
Major Player

Render to tape from timeline or print to tape from the capture tool. In both cases the process should control your camera, so you don't even need to press Record.
By the way - you need to put the generated text on a separate track above your video. If you want to make it transparant, pull down the opacity a bit.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC