DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   13 hours of DV footage and 50 gigs of HD space. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/12225-13-hours-dv-footage-50-gigs-hd-space.html)

Gerald Lee July 19th, 2003 10:26 AM

13 hours of DV footage and 50 gigs of HD space.

I just came back from Junction, TX and shot about 13 hours of DV. I'm planning on turning this into a feature length documentary, but I'm limited by my hard drive space. What would be the most optimal way to go about doing this? This wouldn't be a problem if I had a billion gigs of hard drive space.

Peter Jefferson July 19th, 2003 10:37 AM

capture what you need to keep...

then, with what you DO capture, convert to MPG2 at a high bitrate...

apart from that, get another HDD.
120gb will get you 8hours and 45mins of raw DV

Peter Moore July 19th, 2003 03:33 PM

I had a similar problem so I gave up and bought a 250 GB external firewire HD for about $400. That's the only solution I'd recommend. Peter's idea is probably the only other possibility, but editing MPEG2 is a pain in the ass.

Maybe you can try to cut as you capture. I.E. after you capture a tape, go through it in an NLE and cut out what you know you don't want and then re-save it as one DV AVI. That should cut it down somewhat.

Gerald Lee July 20th, 2003 03:11 AM

Thanks. I'm probably going to try Peter's idea. I would love to have a 250 gb external but it's out of my range right now.

John Locke July 20th, 2003 04:22 AM

Gerald,

I'm from Texas...and I can't keep shaking my head and grinning when I see this post. 13 HOURS of footage on Junction, Texas?!?! If you're on the highway and at the "Welcome to Junction" sign, you can't even get your camera out of power save mode before you're already heading out of town.

I'm really interested in hearing what you're doing. Once you get the technical question answered, would you mind telling us more?

Mike Rehmus July 20th, 2003 11:20 AM

It should only take you 40 hours or so to log your footage and build a capture list. Then you can capture the footage and get right down to serous editing.

Capturing all 13 hours and then sorting. Ouch. I can log in my easy chair which is much more comfortable than my editing suite.

Gerald Lee July 20th, 2003 02:12 PM

Well, Texas Tech University has this campus in Junction where Architecture to Agriculture is taught. I went there to learn classical guitar with my cool world renowned professor Dr. Bogle. We went tubing, kayaking, fishing, and more. I actually brought my dv cam on the kayak and got some cool shots. I do dumb things like that every now and then, but some cool shots resulted. I think there is enough great footage to make a comedic eye candy documentary. I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow, bummer :(.

Gerald Lee July 20th, 2003 03:32 PM

I had an idea, tell me if you think it's good or not. I can capture all my footage on some super low bitrate craptastic low res format and edit like that. Once I have my final product blueprint, I will go back and replicate it with the raw full quality dv footage.

Downsizing the footage would take a super long time and be a major pain however.

Sheesh, this is harder than I thought it was going to be.

Mike Rehmus July 20th, 2003 04:16 PM

That's why we make the big bucks.

TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Low quality edit with a follow-up high-quality edit is the premise on which a lot of computer-based editing was accomplished before DV and even now. Sometimes they call it off-line and on-lineing. But you need frame-accurate capture to pull that off. And a good EDL. Both of those are missing in today's low-end DV system.

The most efficient way is to log the shots and then load only what you want. That's how the big boys do it.

Gerald Lee July 20th, 2003 04:34 PM

I bet you need a pretty good computer to edit HD.

Mike Rehmus July 20th, 2003 08:45 PM

ANd an even better and very large SCSI RAID system

Don Donatello July 22nd, 2003 04:15 PM

keep your eye on sales .. i've been seeing the WD 250gig internal HD for $179 after rebates - usually in sunday paper pull out ads - compUSA , best buys, frys seems each week somebody is offering it ..

Jeff Donald July 23rd, 2003 11:00 AM

Office Depot and CompUSA both had drives on sale last week. I picked up IDE133 160gb drive for $99 (after rebate). You could install it internal or pick up a FireWire enclosure for $50 and go external.

If you can't afford and equipment, follow Mike's advice and just transfer what you need.

Peter Moore July 23rd, 2003 02:36 PM

Yeah big HDs are the way to go. In a few years we'll have terrabytes for $200. :) If only processor speed would increase so quickly.

Gerald Lee July 25th, 2003 08:43 PM

Yeah. I think it's time for a new hard drive. Editing with limited space is a PAIN! Wow, this is super frustrating.