HDD recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM   #1
New Boot

HDD recommendations

Hi folks,

I am new to NLE(waiting for my GL2 to arrive, and will be using Vegas 4.0), and I have a question.

I want to store my video separately from everything else on my PC. I have an Adaptec 1394 fireware, 3 external port card. I assume that external, firewire-attached, 10K drives would be the way to go?

What would that be my best way to go for fast seek times? I don't really want to plunk down the dollars for RAID as this is a hobby for me.

Also, is there a good reliable source to get disk from that also has reasonable prices?

thanks very much for the information!
Old July 23rd, 2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff.

Unless you have some special needs, you should go for IDE ATA100/133 7200rpm disks. They are perfectly capable for that task and are the most cost efective.

If you want to go a little further, SATA150 10k rpm disks will give greater performance, but for the price of a 36Gb SATA150 disk you can buy a 120gb standard type. And remember, AV files take a lot of disk space.

Best regards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Go with an ATA RAID controller. These are not as expensive as SCSI RAID controllers and will still give you decent speed. Put two ATA 100/133 drives on it and you should be all set as far speed necessary for editing.
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #4
Major Player

IMO RAID was more important in the days when HDDs were only 5400rpm. I'm with Arnaldo, if you're doing this for a hobby, large single 7200rpm drives are worth looking at.

My mobo supports RAID and, frankly, I ended up disabling it.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC