Linux?? for editing platform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 8th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Linux?? for editing platform

Has anyone tried using Linux and the editing software for NLE?
Yung Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=...22&btnG=Search

Let us know how it goes.
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Mah View Post
You mean Autodesk Smoke/Flame/Inferno? Out of my league.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I run UbuntuStudio on my laptop, which is a free version of Ubuntu created by Canonical especially for media needs. It uses a real-time kernel and has the Kino NLE along with a lot of other open source applications for video and audio.

You can download the DVD iso and learn more here:
http://ubuntustudio.org
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McBoyle View Post
I run UbuntuStudio on my laptop... http://ubuntustudio.org
A second vote for UbuntuStudio. I've started recommending it to clients and colleagues in developing countries who don't have much startup cash. I haven't used it much myself, but everyone has been happy with it so far.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Does UbuntuStudio do HDV or just SD?
Yung Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
New Boot

various editors for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Mah View Post
Yes, I use openSUSE Linux and the NLE kdenlive a fair amount. I tried cinelerra which purportedly is the most capabile for Linux, but its user interface is horrific. After wasting a silly amount of time, I gave up on it.

I also tried others, but I struggled with them (typically less features than kdenlive). Hence I've always gone back to kdenlive.

I posted the results of a recent test with kdelinve and some AVCHD formats here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1021991-post9.html

There is a summary page (needs major editing) of various NLE for openSUSE Linux here:
Video editing - openSUSE

My experience is the NLE for Linux are not as good (wrt features) as those for Windows nor the Mac, although the fact that kdelive can handle AVCHD format (and many Windows/Mac packages can not) is a big plus in the favour of Linux NLE.
Lee Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Just waking up this thread almost two years later. I managed to crash my Windows system last week, and kill my ability to enter the DVInfo.net Charity Challenge, when I decided to load Ubunto Studio, and work with Linux a bit for a kick.

My first attempt was loading Cinelerra, and I must say I was dissappointed with the program. Seemed awful clunky. My main video editor on in Windows is Sony Vegas Pro 10, and I have gotten use to a pretty free wheeling work flow, and Cinerlerra just did feel like I would ever get to that point with it.

So I next tried to load KdenLive, and that is where I ran into new problems. It seemed the Ubunto that I was running is an advance version, that indicates is not being released until March 2011, I don't know if that was the issue, but I just couldn't get Ubunto to let me load it. I am not that up on trying to dance a Linux program into working, so I decided, load Ubunto 10.10 which will support the latest version of Kdenlive. I decided to load the 64bit version. I suppose i should have guessed it would cause and issue, but the attempt to install 10.10 ended with a crash of the bootloader, and I then could start anything -- Windows or Linux.

In the end, this morning, with the help of a rescue feature on the Ubunto Studio distro DVD I had burnt, I was able to restore the bootloader and Ubunto 10.10 was on line. I loaded KdenLive, and I have had a little time tonight to work with it.

I am pleasantly surprised at how close this program feels to Vegas. I was able to easily load, playback and otherwise edit my Canon DSLR footage. While I have some learning to do about the various features, and capabilities... like trying to render to something like mpg4, and color correcting,

And I find myself wondering if Cineform can be used here...

Has anyone else been editing in this program at this point ?? Any pointers ??
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Answering my own querry, I found this article which is quite informative.

Editing H.264 video in Linux | fooninja.net | advice from a fellow sysadmin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC