DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Having trouble with an AVI file converted from a DVD VOB file in Premiere Pro CS3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/125664-having-trouble-avi-file-converted-dvd-vob-file-premiere-pro-cs3.html)

Scott Thomas Anderson July 9th, 2008 08:53 PM

Having trouble with an AVI file converted from a DVD VOB file in Premiere Pro CS3

Alright, I have a VOB file from a DVD. I have tried doing it with several programs, including AutoGK and Total Movie Converter. The conversion works fine, the video is fine, and it works fine when imported into Sony Vegas 8. But when I try to import it into Premiere Pro CS3, it crashes, and a command window opens saying :

OMP abort: initializing libguide.lib, but found libguide40.dll already initialized.
This may cause performance degradation and correctness issues.
Set environment variable KMP_DUPLICAT_LIB_OK=TRUE to ignore...

etc etc.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any ideas would be helpful...

Bart Walczak July 10th, 2008 03:07 AM

What codec did you convert the VOB file to?

It looks like it was DivX/Xvid. Premiere doesn't like this codec.

I recommend HUFFYUV, free lossless codec. And DVD2AVI as a converter.

Mike Teutsch July 10th, 2008 07:30 AM

If you have the actual file, it easiest to just change the file extension from VOB to AVI and then just import it as usual.

Just movie.vob to movie.avi.

Hope this helps----Mike

Pete Bauer July 10th, 2008 08:25 AM

Your crash is happening under different circumstances from what several of us experienced, but it is the same error msg. Try the work-around in this thread and let us know if it works:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124764

PS: And Scott, welcome to DVinfo from a displaced Minnesotan (grew up in the International Falls area).

Scott Thomas Anderson July 10th, 2008 02:10 PM

Bart -- That is correct, I was using a program called Total Movie Converter. I had never used it before, so I was going in pretty blind. I have come to really like it -- I can convert anything to work on my ipod or PSP very easily, as well as most other formats.

In my first attempts, you are correct, I was selecting AVI, then the default which is Xvid. I had also tried Divx, and H.264, to no avail. It does have an option for WMV AVI's, though, and that worked like a charm (though the file size is obviously larger than any of the other compression formats I tried.

But I will try dvd2avi and see how I like it, with your recommended codec.

Mike -- I used to do that all the time in Windows 98 and XP, but I think Vista (which I use) is smarter than me. If I change the file name, from say VTS, to VTS.AVI, the file litterally becomes VTS.AVI.VOB. It doesn't change the file extension, as xx.xx is a legitimate naming convention now. I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't found it.

Pete -- From MN to TX... they're like the same place, psh. I got to a point where I was no longer crashing Premiere, just getting the harmless "Premiere does not support this file format" message, so that is good. I got it to work, if not the most efficiently, so that's all I need for now.

Mike Teutsch July 10th, 2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Thomas Anderson (Post 905605)

Mike -- I used to do that all the time in Windows 98 and XP, but I think Vista (which I use) is smarter than me. If I change the file name, from say VTS, to VTS.AVI, the file litterally becomes VTS.AVI.VOB. It doesn't change the file extension, as xx.xx is a legitimate naming convention now. I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't found it.

It is probably just because you need to change your folder viewing options. Under "folder options" go to "view," then go to where is says "Hide extensions for known files" and un-check that box. Otherwise when you think that you are changing the extension, you are just changing the name. That is why you get the multiple extensions.

Mike

Scott Thomas Anderson July 10th, 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch (Post 905620)
It is probably just because you need to change your folder viewing options. Under "folder options" go to "view," then go to where is says "Hide extensions for known files" and un-check that box. Otherwise when you think that you are changing the extension, you are just changing the name. That is why you get the multiple extensions.

Mike

Excellent Mike, thank you. That's one of those things I would have been unlikely to come accross on my own. I've been using Windows most of my life, and I consider myself rather tech savy (and surely a google search or two would have lead me to my answer...), but that is pretty convoluted. Any idea how to do it for the desktop?