DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Any problems with the new Pinnacle Studio 12? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/125901-any-problems-new-pinnacle-studio-12-a.html)

Ian Wright July 14th, 2008 03:12 AM

Any problems with the new Pinnacle Studio 12?

I'm thinking of upgrading from version 11 to 12 of Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. Normally I'd wait a while for a new release to bed in but I think I could use the new features now and hopefully v11 bug fixes.

Does anyone using it have any problems with the new version?

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com

Joe Hanna July 14th, 2008 07:51 AM

I have had it for about a month and it seems ok although My computer is in need of replacement, got along ok untill some of the new feartures in ultamate 12 ( Boris fx, Prodad etc. slowed me down. I can't use all of the plugins so I need a new work station. I'm looking now at building one.

Burning DVD'S are a little eaiser with 12 no issues with burn failures like I had with 9.4

Anyway one thing I did not like is I had studio 9 with the 9.4 patch and got the Ultimate 12 upgrade after install I found that I still have, and can use studio 9.4 which seems to be a waste of hard drive space having the two NLE'S present. Both show up on my desktop and I can use either one? I did do something dumb and uinstalled the 9.4 version which I found out that U 12 would not work so I had to reinstall Studio 9.

I have not contacted Pinnacle about this issue but I really don't like it. I'm thinking of canning the NLE for something different but I do like Pinnacle and this has been my only software so I'm used to it and can use it well. Again I do need a dedicated work station now.

I have gotten by using my old Dell Dimension 4600 with some minor upgrades memory,graphics,and extra Hard drive but I have just about used up all of my hole cards for this.

So in conclusion I'm not completely sold on 12 but that may be because my lack of having a good workstation to run all of the features, oh by the way minimun system requirements don't get it you'll need more than the minimum for sure.

I've found that out the hard way.
Hope this helps

Phil Seastrand July 14th, 2008 10:34 AM

I've been using Studio 12 for a couple of days. I was a big Studio 9 user and then stopped editing video for awhile (home use only). I recently purchased a Sony SR11 and wanted to get back into editing. I went with Studio 12 since I was familiar with the interface and happy with the feature set. So far, I'm happy.

There is one issue that popped up early in my testing. Others have reported this problem on the Pinnacle discussion forum. Occasionally, during the make movie process, Studio will interject what looks like a single random frame into the rendered video. During my test project, this happened about a 1/2 dozen times. I've since started working on the vacation footage and, knock on wood, it hasn't happened yet. There are a couple of potential workarounds discussed on the forum, but I haven't tried them all yet. I've opened a case with Pinnacle, but I'm not holding my breath.

Assuming I can get around this issue, I'll be very happy with Studio. There are other products to choose, but given my familiarity with the Studio interface, I didn't feel I wanted to make a change.

Chris Barcellos July 14th, 2008 11:25 AM

I have three different editors on my system, Premiere, Vegas and Studio. I used Studio 10 for things like birthday movies and tributes, because of ease of editing. I upgraded to 12 last week, and note it continues to work fine. And access to movie looks is nice too.

Joe Hanna July 14th, 2008 01:32 PM

Chris
after upgrade to 12 does your os still show version 10 and is it still usable like in my situation, upgrade from version 9.4 to ultimate 12. I still show version 9.4 on my desktop and it act as if I have two editors. I can use my old version 9.4 or 12 read my earlier post. I would think that after my upgrade I would just show the newer version of Ultimate 12?
any thoughts?
thanks joe

Ian Wright July 15th, 2008 12:35 PM

thanks for your responses. I've pushed the buy button! Sounds like I need to completely uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Crossing fingers might also help...

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com

Mike Burgess July 16th, 2008 06:20 AM

I just got Pinnacle 12 and I want to use it with my SR11. So far I have downloaded all my shot footage off of the SR11 onto my computer using Picture Motion Browser. My question is; how do I get the footage from my stored files on PMB to Pinnacle 12?

Thanks.
Mike

Phil Seastrand July 16th, 2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Burgess (Post 908051)
I just got Pinnacle 12 and I want to use it with my SR11. So far I have downloaded all my shot footage off of the SR11 onto my computer using Picture Motion Browser. My question is; how do I get the footage from my stored files on PMB to Pinnacle 12?

Thanks.
Mike

Easy, just click on the open folder icon (tooltip reads: Select video files from a different folder) to navigate to the location you stored your files. Then you can drag/drop the clips directly onto the timeline. No import or any other actions are required.

Chris Barcellos July 16th, 2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Hanna (Post 907230)
Chris
after upgrade to 12 does your os still show version 10 and is it still usable like in my situation, upgrade from version 9.4 to ultimate 12. I still show version 9.4 on my desktop and it act as if I have two editors. I can use my old version 9.4 or 12 read my earlier post. I would think that after my upgrade I would just show the newer version of Ultimate 12?
any thoughts?
thanks joe

Joe:

My version 10 had a Studio Launcher Icon on desk. I thought it still accessed 10, but when I selected it, it went to 12. I did the install late one night, but I seem to recall a question regarding whether I wanted new install, or upgrade. I can't remember for sure, and what I actually landed on. But 10 appears gone now, at least from Program menu access/ as well as in the add remove programs screen in the Control Panel.

Joe Hanna July 16th, 2008 09:07 PM

Chris,
My 9.4 version is still there and usable I tried it again after reading your post. I think I will uninstall 12 and reinstall to see if I missed something during the first install.

This version was an upgrade from 9.4 which I ordered. It was offered to Pinnacle users online I paid like 89:00 USD for it.

I like it but really don't have a suitable workstation to run it properly. I'm looking to buy a new Dell, I know I may get hammered for wanting a Dell but the thing is I have looked high and low at building one or buying HP or a Gateway. I'm not that tech savy to build one for myself. I believe I could, but to buy all of the components is a nightmare with the knowlege I have at this time. If you read enough post eveyone has very good info and valid points as to what you should need but after a while the simpelist gets confusing to me.

As for DYI I don't think it any less expensive to do so in the long run. Maybe just a little less and you must be good enough to trouble shoot any problems you may have, and that's got me a little gun shy.

I posted some specs on an HP but I'm leaning away from that at this time, I have 3 Dells and I like them what can I say.

Any and all advice here is greatly appreciated for sure. Sometimes I think I ask to many questions but I'm much smarter than I was but still way behind the game.
Thanks Joe

Mike Burgess July 17th, 2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Seastrand (Post 908379)
Easy, just click on the open folder icon (tooltip reads: Select video files from a different folder) to navigate to the location you stored your files. Then you can drag/drop the clips directly onto the timeline. No import or any other actions are required.

Thanks Phil, I am aware of that method. But my stored files are AVCHD and Pinnacle doesn't seem to recoginze them. The files show to be empty when they are in fact filled with footage. I get similar situation when I try to capture AVCHD files from a DVD. I get a message box saying: Cannot import DVD. The root directory of the selected drive does not contain a valid DVD image structure.
So far it seems that Pinnacle 12, while maybe being able to put video out in AVCHD, cannot read AVCHD files to import.

Mike

Phil Seastrand July 17th, 2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Burgess (Post 908634)
Thanks Phil, I am aware of that method. But my stored files are AVCHD and Pinnacle doesn't seem to recoginze them. The files show to be empty when they are in fact filled with footage. I get similar situation when I try to capture AVCHD files from a DVD. I get a message box saying: Cannot import DVD. The root directory of the selected drive does not contain a valid DVD image structure.
So far it seems that Pinnacle 12, while maybe being able to put video out in AVCHD, cannot read AVCHD files to import.

Mike

My files are also AVCHD, so there must be some other problem. Here's what I've done:
My camcorder is a Sony SR11, so I use the supplied software to load the video files from the camera to my hard-drive. I then launch Studio and click on the folder icon as discussed before. In the "Open" dialog displayed when I click on the folder icon, I navigate to the folder where the Sony software placed the files. When I double-click on the final folder, I see a list of m2ts video files. Make sure the "Files of type" dropdown is set to "All Supported Video Files". Double-click on any one of the files. Back in Studio, I click on the "Files" radio button located to the right. This tells Studio to display the list of files instead of the scenes within a file. Since the Sony creates separate files for each scene, displaying the scenes within a file doesn't make sense. Now I can drag files (clips) to the timeline.

I hope this helps.

Mike Burgess July 17th, 2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Seastrand (Post 908748)
My files are also AVCHD, so there must be some other problem. Here's what I've done:
My camcorder is a Sony SR11, so I use the supplied software to load the video files from the camera to my hard-drive. I then launch Studio and click on the folder icon as discussed before. In the "Open" dialog displayed when I click on the folder icon, I navigate to the folder where the Sony software placed the files. When I double-click on the final folder, I see a list of m2ts video files. Make sure the "Files of type" dropdown is set to "All Supported Video Files". Double-click on any one of the files. Back in Studio, I click on the "Files" radio button located to the right. This tells Studio to display the list of files instead of the scenes within a file. Since the Sony creates separate files for each scene, displaying the scenes within a file doesn't make sense. Now I can drag files (clips) to the timeline.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Phil. I will give it a try later today and let you know how it went. Please be patient with me as sometimes my mind refuses to work properly.

Mike

Mike Burgess July 18th, 2008 02:15 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with a Sony rep. and together we figured out how to get the folders from PMB to Pinnacle 12. Don't ask to me explain in detail. I can only tell you that we accessed the folders where they were stored on my computer and transfered one of them to the desktop. Then we brought up Pinnacle and while in the edit part of the program, we were able to get to the desktop and capture the folder. Now, what is strange is that when I went back to the program after shutting it down briefly, all the folders from the PMB were in Pinnacle. How that happened I don't know, but I am happy they are there.

So now I can edit and create finished products until the cows come home using Pinnacle 12. Will let you know how it does in a couple of days.

Mike