WD My Book is now rebuilding...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

WD My Book is now rebuilding...?

I just powered up the gear and the external WD My Book 2TB drive went into a 'rebuild'

Checking the RAID 1 manager it says, 'rebuilding the data on the drive in slot B'

It was 13% full and the rebuild has started from there, now at 19%...with 18.15 hrs. to go.

I've got all the upgrades. Has anyone seen this happen? Thanks.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Time to backup your data and run a thorough diagnostic (after the rebuild is done).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Robert. Well it did rebuild the drive in slot B, but I was wrong. It rebuilt the whole nine yards...well the whole 1000GB anyway.

It took a total of 22hrs. It ran by itself, didn't need the computer on. I was very conscious of it overheating and kept a good airflow around it overnight. I found in the morning when I fired up the computer to check the RAID1 progress, if it went to hibernate it also put the WD drive to sleep.

So I just let the WD RAID1 manager do its thing and it did. The problem was, I was off the air for 22hrs and now am behind the 8 ball.

Last week I got another WD 500GB drive just for back up. And the WD disc check is today.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had my second My book drive fail on friday. It was just a 500GB so it wasn't a raid failure. IMHO the lack of a fan on the my book drives makes the drives destined to fail. It was the second my book drive that has failed on me this year.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Keeping the drives coooool is very important! I have "burnt" my share of drives.

Now, I only use single 2.5" as external disks as they don't generate as much heat. My internal drives has a 12cm fan mounted to blow on them(slow, without noise)

I hope your data survived!

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC