DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   LACIE drives issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/127901-lacie-drives-issues.html)

Larry Secrest August 12th, 2008 09:30 AM

LACIE drives issues

Hello,

I have two Lacie drives, 1 TB and 1 750 GB.
When windows recognizes them they work beautifully. But before being able to be detected by windows I have to turns them on and off and on and off a million times. This is ridiculous. After many plays with the switches finally they both appear in MY COMPUTER and I can work with them. But what a waste of time!
Is anybody else having that issues with Windows XP service pack 2?

Also, when I researches this issue on line I found a bunch of posts saying to stay aware of Lacie drives that they fails way too often! Great! I thought I had bought good drives from a good brand!
If this is true, I just can't take that risk.
What drive does anybody recommend here?
thanks
Larry

Louis Maddalena August 12th, 2008 09:58 AM

I can't help with the windows problem because I honestly don't know, but did want to comment on your post about the reliability of your drives. I have a few lacies and mybooks etc. attached to my mac pro, and none of my drives have ever failed me. Lacies seam to be the best because they're the quietest and the first to mount every time.

On the windows side, though.. since I haven't used windows in an eternity I may not know.. but have you looked on the lacie website for updated drives for windows, have you tested the lacie on another computer just to make sure it is infact windows and not a problem with the interface card in your hard drive.

Good Luck

Richard Gooderick August 12th, 2008 11:51 AM

I use three LaCie drives with Windows SP2 on an HP workstation.
I've never had any problems. They switch on and off automatically when I power the computer up and down.

Larry Secrest August 12th, 2008 01:03 PM

Well, mine don't turn on and off automatically when I start windows, so how come?
I let the drives on the automatic position though, so I think they should turn on automatically. Actually, no, sorry, they do turn on automatically, but they do not appear in MY COMPUTER. I have to switch them on and off a dozen times before they do.
larry

Robert M Wright August 12th, 2008 01:26 PM

Good cooling is vital for longevity of a HDD. You might look at this as an enclosure for your next HDD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173042

Devin Termini August 12th, 2008 07:27 PM

Lacie drives have been nothing but dismal failures here. I haven't really tried any other external drives for editing. Since using those I have been using an internal RAID array as much as possible.
I am in need of an external drive for an upcoming project and I think I'll invest in a CalDigit system.

Larry Secrest August 12th, 2008 07:40 PM

Dismal failure, uh! so maybe those people were right!?

Jeff Zimmerman August 13th, 2008 12:07 AM

I've worked with Lacie Drives a long time as well. I have 2 500 GB drives and 1 single 1TB drive. They all have the triple interface USB, 400 and 800. There all d2 series. The 1TB has died twice, but I have revived it by using disk warrior on my Mac. The 500GB's seem to work flawless. I'm wondering if there's was a time when lacie switched manufacturers of drives. A bad batch.

Suggestion on the PC side of things. Check your power options, make sure there just not powering down from standing idle.

When starting up your system try leaving the drives off until completely booted. If daisy chained turn the first drive on that has the direct connection to the PC and then the second drive that is connected through the first drive.

Lars Siden August 13th, 2008 01:21 AM

Hi,

There could be a disguised error - When Windows mounts a drive it tries to use the same letter as last time ie "f:" - should that letter already be used by for instance a card reader or something else, the new drive will be invisible. Then you have to right click "your computer" -> Manage -> Disk Manager. If you see the Lacie drive here, then right click the partition -> Change Drive Letters and Paths

Here, assign a new letter to the drive and hereafter that letter will be the default for that drive, so choose something like "x:".

Other tips:

Make sure you have only ONE interface connetced at a time(ie ONLY USB or only Firewire). Also make sure that the external powersupply is working and that it is connected prior to connecting the USB cable.

Good luck!

// Lazze

Larry Secrest August 13th, 2008 05:17 AM

very useful tips, thanks
L.