Hardware accelerated vs. non accelerated NLE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 5th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hardware accelerated vs. non accelerated NLE

I have been trying out some NLEs the past couple of weeks. So far I have found the Vegas NLE with the Excalibur add on to be my favorite, but I would like to be able to work a bit faster.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the DV Raptor RT or DVStorm2 and Vegas and if you can tell me what the speed difference is between these programs and Vegas would be. Of course, the slower the computer you ran Vegas on the greater the speed difference would be I'm sure. I am just trying to decide if it would be better to go with a hardware accelerated NLE or buy a more powerful processor (I am currently using an Athlon 1.7ghz with 512MB RAM a 60GB hard drive and a 200GB hard drive).

Also, how does the Pinnacle Edition software using the graphics card acceleration stack up to something like the DV Raptor2?

Thanks for any input.

Darrell
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I have the DV Storm and Premiere 6, which according to Vegas fanatics is dog slow. I suppose the difference between hardware assisted and straight software, is getting a snack or taking a nap. I love my Storm.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:54 AM   #3
Trustee

One thing you will find is that none of the hardware based NLEs support Vegas, you will have to use Premiere or whatever companies NLE package. I've never used StormEdit or RexEdit but some people like them and others don't.

I have tried Edition and while it took a bit of getting used to coming from Premiere but was quite good and worked well even on my slower than recommended PIII667.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Adrian is right. Keep in mind that CPU speed is ever rapidly
increasing in speed and decreasing in costs. Therefor a
special board that is tied to special editing package might
not be so interesting anymore. The interesting thing I think
are the analog in and outs on such a board, but you have
special firewire bridges to do the same that work with any
DV capable NLE out there.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC