Video capture. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Video capture.

Hello...

As I have been building my editing system, I have become concerned about how exactly I am going to go about getting the footage from my camera to my timeline. I was wondering how exactly that process works and what is the best way to go about doing it.

I will be working with Vegas 8 and the XH A1.

Thanks for your time.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

vegas 8 has both an internal and external capture program. For HD/HDV use the external program. Set up the deck or camera you're going to use to play the tape back with and hook it up with either the Firewire connection or the component hookup. With the component hookup you'll need some sort of component card like a Blackmagic or AJA.
After capture simply drag the files onto the Vegas timeline and edit away.
if shooting SD then use the Firewire connection and internal capture program capture drop on the TL and edit.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Awesome...Thought it'd be that easy but I didn't want to get everything and not until then realize that its much more complicated.

One question though, for HD/HDV, what is the reason for a component hookup? Is that sort of a standard or requirment for HD/HDV? Or will the Firewire port on my motherboard do just the same?

Thanks alot Don.
-Terry.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can do SD or HDV via firewire...I do this daily!
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Awesome...Thought it'd be that easy but I didn't want to get everything and not until then realize that its much more complicated.

One question though, for HD/HDV, what is the reason for a component hookup? Is that sort of a standard or requirment for HD/HDV? Or will the Firewire port on my motherboard do just the same?

Thanks alot Don.
-Terry.
Ports for component output are there primarily for monitoring with an external monitor (live or playback). You can also capture live from the component output, with something like an Intensity Pro card, bypassing the camera's compression.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Ports for component output are there primarily for monitoring with an external monitor (live or playback). You can also capture live from the component output, with something like an Intensity Pro card, bypassing the camera's compression.
Hmmmmm....So what I could do is hook my camera up directly to my computer and capture the footage live directly onto the hard drive uncompressed? As well as monitor the footage on a larger screen from a remote area?

Is the Intensity Pro card compatable with Sony Vegas?
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I haven't used an Intensity Pro card. To capture uncompressed HD though, would require a RAID array and the file sizes would be huge.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I haven't used an Intensity Pro card. To capture uncompressed HD though, would require a RAID array and the file sizes would be huge.
Of course...

What do you think is the most useful possibility of using an Intensity Pro card? I'm thinking all kinds of possibilities of on set work flow...
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC