DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Audio problems capturing from Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/129743-audio-problems-capturing-z1.html)

Carlos E. Martinez September 10th, 2008 06:38 AM

Audio problems capturing from Z1

It's been hard to find anyone who may have had a problem like mine, because most people capture to a specific editing program, but let's go.

Even if I usually do my editing with Avid Xpress, sometimes I use a simpler capture program called WinDV. I use it to capture from my Sony Z1 and PDX10 video cameras, and through my Canopus converter.

Lately I'm having a problem when capturing from my Z1 that I can't figure out. When I down-convert an HDV tape I get files with no sound. The sound is there, because I listen to it as I play the tapes, but the captured files are mute.

Today I tested the files again, capturing from Avid, and the audio was fine. So where is the problem?

I thought it might related to WinXP and the SP3 update, but I installed another WinXP with SP2 on another HD, and I am getting the same.

The camera setup is fine, or there wouldn't be a capture from Avid, and if I play DV tapes on the Z1 I also get audio alright.

I am getting out of options on what else to try.

Any suggestions?

Vito DeFilippo September 10th, 2008 07:43 AM

Carlos, this is a shot in the dark, cause I don't know WinDV, but could it be an option in the program? Perhaps by mistake you've turned off audio capture and left it just video?

Carlos E. Martinez September 10th, 2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 931884)
Carlos, this is a shot in the dark, cause I don't know WinDV, but could it be an option in the program? Perhaps by mistake you've turned off audio capture and left it just video?

No, it's not. Same problem happens with Windows Movie Maker. Does not happen when playing DV in either program. Does not happen when capturing from Avid.

Vito DeFilippo September 10th, 2008 09:42 AM

Allright. Does WindDV have an option to let you choose your audio hardware device? Perhaps that's not set right.

Carlos E. Martinez September 10th, 2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 931941)
Allright. Does WindDV have an option to let you choose your audio hardware device? Perhaps that's not set right.

It does not, neither has Movie Maker.

Vito DeFilippo September 10th, 2008 12:30 PM

I'm out of ideas...

Ervin Farkas September 11th, 2008 07:57 AM

I have used WinDV for years, it's a wonderfull small program.

Try capturing DV footage - do you get the same error?

Second, take a look at the properties of the footage captured with Avid and compare it to the properties of footage captured with WinDV. There must be a difference somewhere.

Pete Cofrancesco September 15th, 2008 07:16 PM

Can you detail how you're importing using canopus? The most direct and effective way to capture is through a firewire cable connected from your camera to your computer. in addition, you can specify it to down convert in the camera's menu.