Audio problems capturing from Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Audio problems capturing from Z1

It's been hard to find anyone who may have had a problem like mine, because most people capture to a specific editing program, but let's go.

Even if I usually do my editing with Avid Xpress, sometimes I use a simpler capture program called WinDV. I use it to capture from my Sony Z1 and PDX10 video cameras, and through my Canopus converter.

Lately I'm having a problem when capturing from my Z1 that I can't figure out. When I down-convert an HDV tape I get files with no sound. The sound is there, because I listen to it as I play the tapes, but the captured files are mute.

Today I tested the files again, capturing from Avid, and the audio was fine. So where is the problem?

I thought it might related to WinXP and the SP3 update, but I installed another WinXP with SP2 on another HD, and I am getting the same.

The camera setup is fine, or there wouldn't be a capture from Avid, and if I play DV tapes on the Z1 I also get audio alright.

I am getting out of options on what else to try.

Any suggestions?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Carlos, this is a shot in the dark, cause I don't know WinDV, but could it be an option in the program? Perhaps by mistake you've turned off audio capture and left it just video?
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Carlos, this is a shot in the dark, cause I don't know WinDV, but could it be an option in the program? Perhaps by mistake you've turned off audio capture and left it just video?
No, it's not. Same problem happens with Windows Movie Maker. Does not happen when playing DV in either program. Does not happen when capturing from Avid.
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Allright. Does WindDV have an option to let you choose your audio hardware device? Perhaps that's not set right.
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Allright. Does WindDV have an option to let you choose your audio hardware device? Perhaps that's not set right.
It does not, neither has Movie Maker.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm out of ideas...
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have used WinDV for years, it's a wonderfull small program.

Try capturing DV footage - do you get the same error?

Second, take a look at the properties of the footage captured with Avid and compare it to the properties of footage captured with WinDV. There must be a difference somewhere.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Can you detail how you're importing using canopus? The most direct and effective way to capture is through a firewire cable connected from your camera to your computer. in addition, you can specify it to down convert in the camera's menu.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC