DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Opinions on new editing system build (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/130679-opinions-new-editing-system-build.html)

Matt Headley September 12th, 2008 08:50 AM

Opinions on new editing system build

I need opinions/advice on building a new PC Video Editing system for my brother. The main thing I'm interested in is multi-monitors, 3-4 to be specific.

For my own system and my dad's system, I mainly followed Safe Harbor's system and used asus motherboards and ATI video cards. They were all dual-head two monitor video cards.

Because of that for this time I'm looking again at Asus boards and ATI video cards.

I'm looking at the ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard. I discovered the crossfire technology that allows two video cards to be tied together for more computing power. This is probably mainly beneficial for video games, but could possibly benefit effects work? Does anyone else have an editing system that has this? I figured since I might need two cards anyway for four monitors, the crossfire technology might be a perk. Because of cost, for the crossfire technology, I'm looking at the ati hd 2900 gt cards.

However, these cards take up two slots in the case, and I can't find any info on whether two of these cards will fit on the motherboard and/or cover up other slots or something else. Also, I'm seeing more expensive cards that allow four monitors off of a single video card. I'm wondering if this is a better way to go. But those cards would be twice the price of the crossfire option.

As far as NLE, I'm planning simply PPro 3 and 1394 DV. We are building this system to be a little futureproof, but have no plans at this time to put in any video cards such as matrox or black magic, etc. This is because my brother is only editing DV for now, but would like a system he can use to get into HD in the future.

Jeff Pulera September 12th, 2008 10:43 AM

Hi Matt,

A simple solution may be found in the Matrox "Triple Head to Go - Digital Edition". Send it a single DVI output at a very wide resolution and it will split/distribute to 3 displays

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Matt Headley September 12th, 2008 03:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just read on another forum that the triple head only supports 1280x1024 resolution on each monitor. Even though he probably won't use full hd resolution for a while, we want this sytem to be an HD machine for the future.

George Kroonder September 13th, 2008 05:18 AM

Trying to build a system now that will still be economical in "the future" is a pipe dream.

You can do your best to make a system that is "future proof" only to be overtaken by technology updates in less than a year.

Spend your money on what you need now and can safely predict for the next 12 mo. If you can easily upgrade the system, that may benefit you.

Save your money on fancy graphics cards you don't need. They will be faster and cheaper if and when you need them.

The Matrox box simply extends your desktop over three displays. If that's what you want/need it may be all you need. When your needs go beyond it in time, sell it and buy a better solution with the money you saved.

George/

Matt Headley September 14th, 2008 11:23 PM

I found out about videoguys.com and they have a ton of info that I can use.

There are no pipe dreams. By future I do mean a year or two ahead. But what I'm talking about are doing the best you can for using foundations for basic upgrades a couple years later. For instance, DDR2 ram is starting to be replaced by DDR3 ram. According to the videoguys site, performance gain isn't there yet, but in a few months it will. But you gotta have a board that takes DDR3 in order to use that upgraded ram. And having a socket that supports core quad processors and faster ones in the future. Wait five years and the last of the quad cores will be inexpensive to replace the original quad core processor and still be able to use the rest of the computer.

Since I last built a system, single core processors and speed really haven't advanced. They've only added cores that have to have software updates in order to utilize. However, all the data pathways and connectors have all been replaced with newer stuff.

I think it's best to spend about 1500-2000 on a brand new system and get the latest and best of whatever is available at the time and what is a platform for future upgrades.