Software to capture/create/search a low quality MiniDV video archive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Software to capture/create/search a low quality MiniDV video archive?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any clues to one or more programs to create a low quality video archive of miniDV tapes as a reference to offline media.

Basically I want to capture all of my past miniDV media to about 250kbps video clips, Number the tapes and then create some type of list where by I can search the "preview clips" by description, date, location etc.

so then if I need stock footage of anything I can simply search via a few criteria and then go locate the tape and go straight to the timecode I need.

If this makes sense any assistance would be a great help.

Cheers

Craig.
Craig Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

I've been thinking the same thoughts as you... I've looked at

1. Scenalyzer - batch capture full mini dv tape in fast forward with picture
2. Use adobe bridge or lightroom to index the files

Another product is iMedia Pro

// Lazze
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Wrangler

Cat DV might work.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Our Enosoft DV Processor has an Excel Add-In that will create a "storyboard" and EDL for a DV stream (e.g., playing from tape via FireWire). It creates a thumbnail at selected intervals and builds something that resembles a filmstrip. It automatically splits at date/time breaks and you can add a comment for each clip. Because it uses Excel, you can search very readily and if you scroll the spreadsheet, the thumbnails appear as moving video.

I've attached the user guide to save you having to download the full package.

John.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Enosoft DV Logger User Guide.pdf (943.9 KB, 1215 views)
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #5
New Boot

cool, thanks for all the info guys, I will suss them out.

up to now I have started to capture with Exsate DV Capture Live. But you have to open the program to view time date info so I would still have to make a list word or something so looking at better options.

What I also like the idea of is that if something did happen to the original tapes i.e. fire flood etc, I would have a back up. Although its only low res, for all our uncut family home video footage etc it is at least something.
Craig Turner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC