DVCAM and miniDV formats on PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 13th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #1
New Boot

DVCAM and miniDV formats on PC?

I've had zero experience with doing my own edits, however, I do believe that it is time to start.

My first question (patience please...I'm a total rookie): Can I dump DVCAM format onto the computer, edit it, then mix it with miniDV format, edit the two together then put my final edit onto one format? Hopefully, miniDV?

The reason I ask is this; It is my understanding that the DVCAM format (Sony's format) is shot onto a miniDV tape but it uses a narrower strip of tape, whereas, the miniDV uses more of the tape. And, moreover, a DCRV10 (mini deck with LCD screen) can play both DVCAM and miniDV format but you couldn't play a DVCAM format on a canon XL1s.

Therefore, because of the equipment that I have (underwater bullet cam) must be plugged into a deck to record the picture. Because I want the highest quality end result I have decided to go with the DCRV10 deck to record onto and I'm a little concerned about mixing up the formats....from an editing standpoint

Any info helping me with my concerns would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Mike Murri
Mike Murri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: DVCAM and miniDV formats on PC?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Murri : I've had zero experience with doing my own edits, however, I do believe that it is time to start.

My first question (patience please...I'm a total rookie): Can I dump DVCAM format onto the computer, edit it, then mix it with miniDV format, edit the two together then put my final edit onto one format? Hopefully, miniDV?

Yes. The information is the same, regardless of the source tape format. I mix them all the time.
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Much Thanks....Rehmus!

Mike
Mike Murri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC