DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Which NLE recognizes 16:9 format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/13452-nle-recognizes-16-9-format.html)

Samuel Raj August 18th, 2003 11:55 PM

Which NLE recognizes 16:9 format

I heard Vegas, Adobe Premier, FCP recognizes 16:9 format
i.e you can directly download using firwire, it appropriately captures as 16:9.(If it is taken as 16:9)

I tried with the cheaper MGWAVE etc, it just takes 16:9 as ordinary 4:3
Any cheaper NLE which does these?

Samuel Raj August 18th, 2003 11:57 PM

Movie Maker 2 for Windows xp recognizes 16:9?

Thanks

Patricia Kim August 19th, 2003 01:21 AM

Okay, Samuel, now I'm out of my Mac area completely, but if you do a google search for MovieMaker2, you will find a pdf file you can download which indicates you can indeed capture 16:9 in MM2. (Tried to send you the file via e-mail, but you're not listed for e-mail in this forum.) Good luck.

Aylwin Cal August 19th, 2003 06:37 AM

I recently bought VideoFactory 2.0 which is the younger brother of Vegas (much cheaper too). It's excellent but it's no longer available. Good news is that it's being replaced by Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0. I'm eagerly waiting for this upgrade.

Samuel Raj August 19th, 2003 10:41 AM

Thanks Patricia, and Aylwin.

I will have a look at the pdf file you mentioned, Patricia.

Samuel Raj August 19th, 2003 08:09 PM

Patricia,
I am not able to find the link for the pdf file.
Can you post here or send me directly to contact1233@yahoo

Boyd Ostroff August 19th, 2003 08:14 PM

I'm also on the mac, but I work a lot in 16:9. I think the only real issue is whether the 16:9 will display in the proper aspect ratio on your computer monitor. The actual footage is just standard DV at 720x480 pixels. You can edit it with any software you like, but it might look "squashed" the the NLE doesn't understand 16:9. However when you play it back on a widescreen TV it should still stretch out properly.

Having said that, I know that Premiere can handle it properly, and I'll bet that most modern software can do so as well.

Rob Lohman August 20th, 2003 10:10 AM

You can ALWAYS CAPTURE 16:9, why? Because the DV capture
utilities are simply transferring a digital stream from your camera
to your harddisk (and optionally adding a placeholder format
like AVI or QuickTime around it). Whether your NLE can DISPLAY
it properly and understands 16:9 is a different story.

As far as I know almost every NLE supports it in one way or
another.

Samuel Raj August 20th, 2003 06:00 PM

Yes, I know it captures 16:9, But if the NLE doesnt recognizes, its difficult to edit on the footage. if you cut or modify, you wont get the actual pixels...

And all theimages seem to be squashed. you cant add your own black bar or, whatever we do with that squashed stuff, is not accurate.

thats why NLE which recognizes 16:9 gives real idea of what we are doing.

Boyd Ostroff August 20th, 2003 06:05 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Samuel Raj : if you cut or modify, you wont get the actual pixels-->>>

I agree it's better to use a 16:9 aware program, but the actual pixels are just 720 x 480, the same as regular DV. It gets stretched when viewed on a 16:9 monitor or TV. 16:9 footage does not have any more pixels than 4:3 footage.

Samuel Raj August 20th, 2003 10:37 PM

Thanks Boyd,
Do you know what algorithm or technique 16:9 tv uses to expand those squashed footage to make it 16:9

Panasonic GS 100 covers more area in 16:9 than any other cam. the resultant magnifcation is just 1.04. Other cams does at the cost of resolution, like cutting some resolution and enlarging to 1.3 to whatever size.

Do you any other cam which just give as original size?

Rob Lohman August 21st, 2003 06:42 AM

Yes, just resample the video from 720x480 to 872x480. That
should do the trick.

But I'm curious to know which NLE you are using. As said, most
support plain 16:9 editing (as said earlier Premier & Vegas both
support it). With most packages you can also add 16:9 footage
to a 4:3 project and it will automatically create black bars for you.

If you were just out to get black bars it might be better to shoot
in 4:3 and add the bars in post.