£750 Video Editing PC Guidance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 30th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Tourist

£750 Video Editing PC Guidance

Before all else, a big hello to everyone! Okay, to my quandary. Well, title says it all really. I don't know if it's possible with that budget though, which includes a new monitor. I would be using it for future hd (hdv) short film editing. Used the videoguys' DIY6 system as a guide.

1. Processor - Intel Q6600
2. Motherboard - Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
3. Memory - Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333mhz XMS3 DHX
4. Storage - 1x Samsung F1 320gb HD322HJ (OS Drive)
2x F1 320gb (on RAID0)
*I can salvage a 6 year old WD 74GB Raptor from my current Dell PC.(Worth it?) Should I make that my boot drive instead of buying a new one? Is 320gb too much for an OS drive? Also, I'd like another drive to back-up on occasionally and store music and photo library, but unsure how to do this cheaply and efficiently (internal v. external, etc.).

5. Power supply - Corsair modular 520w
6. Case - Antec P182
7. Monitor - Dell 20" 2009WFP
8. OS - XP Pro
9. Cooling - Fan-based heatsinks

I started this having in mind a budget of £750, but it looks like it's more like £900 now. If anyone can show me a £750 configuration, then by all means. I'd like a quiet, stable (no overclocking needs) and efficient system. If not, would this config do? I really need advice on the RAIDing on a budget more than anyhting.

Many thanks in advance.
Joshua Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2
New Boot

What software do you plan on using?

The first thing I'd recommend looking at is do you need Quad Core yet? Might get a better value, quicker Dual Core.

Also, is 320GB enough for your needs? Remember, DV (or HDV) is 13GB an hour in its native format...

JM.
James Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Tourist

I've since made 'cuts' and came up with this:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2281/48457985ct0.png

Plus the OS, cooling, cables and a basic GPU, £750-£800 perhaps. I was looking at Vegas since I am fairly acquainted with it already having edited a short (dv) film on one. I'd like to future-proof as much as I can with the money I got. The plan is to be making short films, so I think I'm pretty safe with the 2x 320gb on RAID0. With the OS, I am unsure whether to stick with XP Pro, or if Vista has matured enough to be an editing workhorse. I'm fairly confident with the general configuration, but would really be happy with more suggestions from you guys on drive strategy. I can afford at most 3 new hard drive, and may add to that the one I have now.
Joshua Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
New Boot

I've run Vegas on Vista x64 and never had any problems with it. If you can, seriously consider bigger drives and a beefier PSU - you might appreciate it!

Other than that, good spec.
James Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC