64 Bit HDV Machine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

64 Bit HDV Machine

It's a little early but I figured that I'd start off 2009 with a new editing system/PC -

Getting close to finalizing the final build components and thought I gather some input and or opinions from the masses here at DVinfo at what I have so far -

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherbird: Gigabyte GA-X86-DQ6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128331

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - Operating Systems

RAM: Geil Black Dragon 8GB (4 x 2GB) (As recommended by M/B manufacturer)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144074

HDD: Western Digital SATA 7200RPM 250GB (OS / Apps drive)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

ROM Drive: LG Super Multi Blu-ray Burner 6X
Newegg.com - LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L - Blu-Ray Burners

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (Full tower)
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Still researching the power supply and video card options.
The final outcome will be for the transition from my use of Sony Vegas Pro 8c (32bit) to Adobe Production Premium CS4 (Vista 64 bit certified)
http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...on/systemreqs/

Last edited by Laurence Scott; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: revised M/B and RAM selections
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Any specific reason for that mobo? It has two drawbacks IMO, the chipset and the SLI capability, which may give compatibility issues with the first and no advantage on the second. You don't want SLI on an editing machine.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Major Player

I would call that a 2008 machine, certainly not 2009.

I would wait and build a Nehalam system or just get a refurb Quad core system ($500) for now if you need a system right away.

I would also get an Intel X-25 SSD for the system and applications drive. It's far superior to a HDD and is probably the best performance upgrade you can do even though it's very expensive.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Stability -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Any specific reason for that mobo? It has two drawbacks IMO, the chipset and the SLI capability, which may give compatibility issues with the first and no advantage on the second. You don't want SLI on an editing machine.
Based on some information I've read, reviews posted and with some input from local PC gaming enthusiasts - this EVGA comes back as one of the more stable mobos' out there currently. If I'm remember correctly, I believe HP/Voodoo is using that EVGA m/b in their Blackbird gaming PC's - not that I'm claiming this PC would be the ultimate benchmark.

I'm slightly perplexed at your SLI comment though -
Perhaps you can explain to me the drawback of having a mobo with SLI or XROSSFIRE capabilities.

I'm open to any suggestion or recommendation you may have for another mobo with the exception of anything produced by ASUS.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
I would call that a 2008 machine, certainly not 2009.

I would wait and build a Nehalam system or just get a refurb Quad core system ($500) for now if you need a system right away.

I would also get an Intel X-25 SSD for the system and applications drive. It's far superior to a HDD and is probably the best performance upgrade you can do even though it's very expensive.

Well technically speaking you'd be correct as I'm looking to have it put together by the end of this year - therefore starting off with a new 64bit HDV in 2009 not for 2009.

The specs on the Nehalem are impressive but I'm not really seeing the need to become an early adopter at this point. I can get a more than decent system now and hold out for the successor to Nehalem which I believe will be Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Major Player

I just built a new rig with the Q9550 and Vista 64. Blazing fast combo. I didn't care about teetering on the bleeding edge of technology; I just wanted something NOW and STABLE and USEFUL for years to come.

I think the Q9550 is overclockable, but I'm leaving it alone. Plenty fast for me in stock condition.

What about a CPU cooler? I'm running a Arctic Pro 7. With all 4 cores at 100% during a render, the Q9550 is at 40*C. Nice.

Consider a 10K Raptor OS/program HDD; it will make your system sing. Vegas 8.1 loads in about 2-2.5 seconds. Nice.

$0.02,
Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Scott View Post
Based on some information I've read, reviews posted and with some input from local PC gaming enthusiasts
That is the problem, your source are gamers, not editors. For gamers I certainly agree, but for NLE I strongly suggest Intel chipsets, either X48 or 5400 Seaburg if you want to move up to dual 771 sockets with Xeon Harpertown's.

The videocard is hardly ever used to its full capability, certainly not for NLE. If you are heavy into 3D modelling that is another story, but for regular Vegas/Edius/Adobe editing, including After Effects, Boris Continuum etc. almost any decent videocard like an ATI 4650 is more than sufficient. Anything more is just a waste of money and will not give you any noticeable improvement.

I agree with the SSD suggestion for OS/programs. I suggest that you invest in a good raid controller for your media drives and get at least 4 internals for your media and projects.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
That is the problem, your source are gamers, not editors. For gamers I certainly agree, but for NLE I strongly suggest Intel chipsets, either X48 or 5400 Seaburg if you want to move up to dual 771 sockets with Xeon Harpertown's.

I agree with the SSD suggestion for OS/programs. I suggest that you invest in a good raid controller for your media drives and get at least 4 internals for your media and projects.
Great insight and I appreciate your input -
I'll do some looking around and post the revision[s] later on.

SSD [especially the one recommended earlier] will push me over budget this time around. I wasn't looking to pick up anything super spectacular in regards to a videocard either - something 'middle of the road' will suffice.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Laurence

If your really want the Q9550 check it out - this weekend $279.99 / ship / tax

FRYS.com*|*Intel

good luck
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

- made some revisions -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boosinger View Post
Laurence

If your really want the Q9550 check it out - this weekend $279.99 / ship / tax

FRYS.com*|*Intel

good luck
Thanks for the heads up Don and Steve
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Laurence:

You didn't say exactly what you will be editing on your new machine.

If it were to be AVCHD, the Q5550 or Q9650 based machines are a little too slow. DV or HDV are no problem.
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Laurence:

You didn't say exactly what you will be editing on your new machine.

If it were to be AVCHD, the Q5550 or Q9650 based machines are a little too slow. DV or HDV are no problem.
Thanks for the note Jeff -
The primary media sources will be DV and HDV with most of the focus on DV until Blu-ray become more common.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC