DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   AVID on PC or FCP 4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/13542-avid-pc-fcp-4-a.html)

Matt Concialdi August 20th, 2003 05:21 PM

AVID on PC or FCP 4

I am looking to buy an editing system and I wanted to know some thoughts on which one I should get.

Right now I am looking at AVID Xpress Pro with Mojo on PC or FCP 4 on Mac. I am looking to get a job eventually as an editor in Hollywood. Which system would be better, more versital, more reliable, and will produce better output quality? Is AVID still the number one choice for high end stuff or is FCP makings its way up the ladder?

Which core system would you guys recommend?

BJ Thomas August 20th, 2003 05:58 PM

I would go with avid

Christopher Go August 20th, 2003 08:42 PM

In terms of scalability, there is nothing right now that can compare with Avid. Avid offers editing capabilities right on up to feature films, depending on the system of course, but the interface and workflow remains the same. In this regard, it makes sense to learn Avid, the industry standard in feature filmmaking.

But Final Cut and other applications are gaining ground as well. If not mistaken, I believe Cold Mountain was edited on Final Cut. This is Anthony Minghella's new movie, which Walter Murch edited, the same man responsible for the editing on Apocalypse Now and the Godfather trilogy.

If I were you, and seriously intent on becoming an editor, I'd spring for the Macintosh platform, preferably the G5 selling right now. This way, you could go with both Avid and Final Cut if you ever needed to since Avid also runs on Macs. You could spring for either of them, then later down the road, familiarize yourself with other competing platforms. The Macintosh will allow you run either Final Cut or Avid.

Yi Fong Yu August 20th, 2003 09:15 PM

how much does avid pro cost?

Christopher Go August 20th, 2003 10:09 PM

Avid Xpress Pro costs $1695.

However, if you purchase Avid Xpress DV for $995 you can upgrade to Avid Xpress Pro when it comes out for $295. $1290 is better than $1695...

Click on this for more info.

If you're a student, Avid Xpress Pro is a lot cheaper, might want to look into that as an option.

Yi Fong Yu August 21st, 2003 05:32 AM

so somehow i've gotta find a way to 'become' a student =).

Alex Dunn August 28th, 2003 02:41 PM

The Student price is $395, but I hear you get a bare bones kit, and little support. They expect you have a professor at your side and wouldn't need support.

For the $1695 price you also get the Mojo and all this:

FilmMaker's Toolkit including Avid FilmScribe, AutoSync, Dupe Detection, Script-Based editing, Avid Log Exchange, Film Effects, IllusionFX, Image Stabilization, Avid Pan and Zoom

Sorenson Squeeze 3.1 Compression Suite ($449)

Boris GRAFFITI LTD ($199)

Sonic Solutions ReelDVD ($699)

Profound Effects Elastic Gasket ($249) This is an adapter for After-Effects-only plug-ins to be used directly by the Avid system.

Matt Concialdi August 28th, 2003 03:42 PM

thanks everone for your advise!!! It has helped

Glenn Chan August 28th, 2003 06:10 PM

What kind of editing are you planning on doing? Final Cut Pro has taken over trailer editing.

Matt Concialdi August 28th, 2003 07:11 PM

I am looking at just a broad field of editing. Music videos, TV, film. Right now whatever I can get my hands on I will edit, I'm just looking for experiance and learning.

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2003 07:53 PM

I've been a certified Avid editor since 1994 and editing on FCP for 3 years. I freelance as both and I get far more FCP editing jobs than Avid jobs. I subscribe to several online job bulletin boards and the jobs run about 4 to 1 for FCP editors. Avid is still king of the feature, but FCP is closing the gaps very quickly.

I agree with Christopher's advice to go Mac and learn both. But if I had to choose just one to learn it would be FCP, it's what puts bread on the table for my family.

Yi Fong Yu August 28th, 2003 08:37 PM

fcp ever coming out to PC? ever?

Jeff Donald August 29th, 2003 03:18 AM

Probably not, Apple would need to switch processors and OS's. FCP is a major reason PC users, in this profession, switch to Apple. Apple is unlikely to port it to PC and lose that competitive edge.

Alex Dunn August 29th, 2003 07:55 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : What kind of editing are you planning on doing? Final Cut Pro has taken over trailer editing. -->>>

Are you saying that a studio would edit the feature on Avid, and then cut the trailer on FCP? Why would they do that?

Alex Dunn August 29th, 2003 07:58 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Avid is still king of the feature, but FCP is closing the gaps very quickly. -->>>

Are there any published numbers to support this?